tranny fluid?

10 replies to this topic
  • 450GN

Posted June 18, 2004 - 03:50 PM

well i already did 1 oil change after break in and now it is time for another in just 1 week

i sure have been riding alot lately and just want to keep the bike in great shape

how often does everyone change their oil after just straight line driving and some high speed whoops? no real jumps or real high RPM for along time

anyways.. when i changed the oil before i looked all in the service manual and couldnt find 1 thing about trans oil!??

does the YZ450 use engine oil for the trans aswell or am i just stupid

• blue_beast_wins

Posted June 18, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Tranny fluid = engine oil........all in one

• XXX_Thumper

Posted June 19, 2004 - 05:26 AM

Stupid............ :thumbsup: :devil: Just Kidding.

• Satch0922

Posted June 19, 2004 - 06:15 AM

The YZF uses the same oil to lubricate the transmission and the top end. For that reason you should change it quite often. While the oil itself may not be broken down it IS polluted with metal shavings, clutch material and dirt.

I change mine every other ride and clean/change the oil filter every other oil change.

You will get varying opinions on this but I can tell you that my 02 still looks like brand new inside and very little signs of wear at all. Oil is cheap....new bikes or engines aren't.

• Shane_Bettin

Posted June 19, 2004 - 08:43 AM

i change the oil and filter every 15 hours. ive got an hour/tach meter so that helps alot

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 19, 2004 - 09:57 AM

The hour meter idea is great. I've been changing mine every 2 or 3 rides, depending on the conditions that I'm riding in. As said above, the oil doesn't get broken down that quickly, but it sure does get full of "stuff".

• 450GN

Posted June 19, 2004 - 12:00 PM

thanks for the replys guys!
much help

now i just need to convince my buddy to change his oil...
he bought it last fall and still has the original oil in... 4 races and prolly 40 hours of trail rides on it...
glad im not that bike

• Satch0922

Posted June 19, 2004 - 02:29 PM

your buddy has a 450? if he does that thing is a time bomb waiting to go off,

• norcal_hoss

Posted June 19, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Geez why would anyone do something so stupid and not change there oil lol oli in a thumper is its blood.. How would you like your blood dirty running through your veins lol Man bro change the oil for him or something.. lol :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 20, 2004 - 02:12 AM

thanks for the replys guys!
much help

now i just need to convince my buddy to change his oil...
he bought it last fall and still has the original oil in... 4 races and prolly 40 hours of trail rides on it...
glad im not that bike

Don't ride behind him! If that thing lets go at a bad time on the track (jump takeoff, etc..) you could get tangled up in the mess.

• 450GN

Posted June 21, 2004 - 11:47 AM

yeah my buddy has a 2004 YZ450F
i keep telling him he needs an oil change and just shrugs it off....
well thanks for the help guys... really assured me that no need for trans fluid and seems a little easier on me... less maintenace
after i read that here i saw in the manual a few pages that said the trans uses the engine oil!
dummy me :devil: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.