Hand Guards?

15 replies to this topic
  • moto_madman

Posted July 07, 2002 - 01:13 PM

What's your favorite hand guard for Pro-tapers? I bashed my right hand into the ground today and i plan on preventing that in the future since i almost broke it.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 07, 2002 - 02:08 PM

Acerbis Ralleye gaurds

No doubt.

4th gear downer 50+mph

no damage :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 07, 2002 - 03:36 PM

Acerbis Rally Gards. No question. Have had them on a number of bikes and havend broke one yet.

DO NOT buy one of the cheap knock off brands like ufo or msr. They are junk. They will break and you will be replacing them. Only buy Acerbis.

I have folded my acerbis flat to the bar and it has snaped back for more.

• Unibomber

Posted July 07, 2002 - 03:55 PM

yep, done said this before, Acerb's Rally Pro's are the only way to go. Lets see, just off the top of my head I can think of 5 times in the past two months where they have paid for themselves by savin my levers, hands, bars, etc...... :)

• acarter920

Posted July 07, 2002 - 04:17 PM

I have some handguards for sale. They are just as tough as any Acerbis and have the aluminum backbone with the hardened plastic around it. I am asking $50 for them along with the stock Yamaha handlebars. Pics are at http://www.geocities...mx/MY_TOYS.html . Let me know if you are interested, thanks.

• YZ400Court

Posted July 07, 2002 - 05:54 PM

Personally I like the Cycra Pro Bends. I use the acerbis flags on them. They don't bend, the flags deflect all of the thorny plants and rocks we have here in the desert, and when your flyin through the whoops and you hand comes off, the gaurds don't get in the way when trying to grab the bars. I have never broken a lever with them on.

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted July 07, 2002 - 09:09 PM

Enduro Engineering hand guards

• CAL

Posted July 08, 2002 - 02:58 AM

I have Enduro Engineering guards with Cycra shields. I love them! MUCH better than the Acerbis Rally Pros I had on my DRZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted July 08, 2002 - 07:39 AM

Originally posted by CAL:
I have Enduro Engineering guards with Cycra shields. I love them! MUCH better than the Acerbis Rally Pros I had on my DRZ.

I agree totally! The Acerbis have the plastic guard molded around the inner aluminum bar. After a few hard hits, the plastic tends to crack and you cannot replace the plastic (to my knowledge). With the EE guards, you just replace the plastic deflectors and away you go. I also found the quality of EE to be excellent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bryan Bosch ]

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 08, 2002 - 08:19 AM

If you are looking for aluminum backed bark busters, there are a lot of good ones out on the market. Acerbis, Enduro engineering to name a few. But if you want plastic "bark busters" not "roost guards" then you want the acerbis rally guards. I personally like these over the aluminum ones. I have beat the hell outa mine and they havent broke yet.

I dont know why I dont like the aluminum ones I just dont. Maybe its some subliminal thing dating back to breaking my wrist on a aluminum bark buster.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 08, 2002 - 12:27 PM

I had some of the aluminum/plastic hand gaurds that were built by EMIGO and they were carbon fiber look. They looked awesome and they were only 20bucks. Well worth the 20 bucks but when I crashed the would stay bent because of the aluminum. :D
I have had the Acerbis Ralley gaurds w/o aluminum for 2 yrs and never broke them.
You have to make sure you have them adjusted right and the KEY is to not have them TOO tight.
You must be able to bang on em' with your hand a little to move them around. Not TOO loose but not TOO tight either. If they are too tight they may break on a hard impact but I have had Many and never done anythin but scratch them and never touched a lever! :)

You CAN replace just the plastics. You dont have to buy a new mounting kit. I think the plastics are around 20bucks.
:D

• dez4ever

Posted July 08, 2002 - 12:33 PM

I have used the Cycra Pro Bends on my last two bikes and I think they work great. The mounting system seems to work much better than the others that tend to bind up and won't conform to the bars. The Cyra's also have the replacement plastic guards which are nice and easy to replace when the get beat up.

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted July 08, 2002 - 11:17 PM

Originally posted by CAL:

CAL,Did you have any trouble getting the Cycra shield to fit?I wouldn't mind trying the Cycra shields,exspecially since they mount from the outside(I think)of the guard,instead of the inside.

• CAL

Posted July 09, 2002 - 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper:
CAL,Did you have any trouble getting the Cycra shield to fit?I wouldn't mind trying the Cycra shields,exspecially since they mount from the outside(I think)of the guard,instead of the inside.

I had no problem at all. The Cycra shields will fit any aluminum hanguard. Them mounting on the outside of the aluminum was one of my reasons for using Cycra. The shields come with self tapping screws, but I went ahead and bought some screws and drilled and tapped my handguards.

• CAL

Posted July 09, 2002 - 02:32 AM

Originally posted by THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER:
You CAN replace just the plastics. You dont have to buy a new mounting kit. I think the plastics are around 20bucks.
:)

Bryan is talking about the Rally Pros with the plastic molded around the aluminum. The plastic on the Rally Pros can't be replaced.

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted July 09, 2002 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Cal.Thats what I was wanting to hear. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.