Help with YZ426 sputter

6 replies to this topic
  • WeeeRacing

Posted June 18, 2004 - 03:16 PM

I bought an 01' YZ426 a couple months back and the guy who sold it to me gave me 5 gallons of VP, 110 octane race fuel and told me it was unleaded. Anyway the other day I ran out of my normal 93 so I cracked open the 110 and went for a ride. I have never used race fuel, but the guy who gave it to me said the bike would just run a little better. Needless to say I was suprised when got on the throttle and felt a bottom end lug that I had never felt before. The bike didn't even run as good as normal. So I drained the 110 and filled her up with 93 hoping it would run like normal. IT STILL RUNS LIKE CRAP !! I found out after that VP doesn't even make unleaded 110, so obviously I put leaded gas in the bike. I searched for threads about leaded fuel and found nothing but praise. Anybody know what's going on here ? Could it be that Titanium valves don't seat better with leaded fuel ? Or could the bike need to be tuned to run 110 ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I havn't had my daily dose of speed and I'm goin CRAZY !
Thanks

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 18, 2004 - 03:25 PM

I don't think leaded would hurt it, especially if you only ran a little bit through so don't worry about that. Personally I would start by draining the tank (upside down) and give the carb a really good cleaning. Add some fresh gas and give it a ride. I am guessing you just got some goop into the carb somehow.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 19, 2004 - 05:18 AM

I don't think leaded would hurt it, especially if you only ran a little bit through so don't worry about that. Personally I would start by draining the tank (upside down) and give the carb a really good cleaning. Add some fresh gas and give it a ride. I am guessing you just got some goop into the carb somehow.

Only add change the plug as well

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WeeeRacing

Posted June 19, 2004 - 07:16 AM

Do you guys think a fuel additive cleaner would do the trick or should i take the carb off and soak it in parts cleaner ?

*Spark plug is a possibility. The bike felt like it was running much hotter while I was running the 110. Some one told me I could have over heated the spark plug. Is this common ? Possible ?

Thanks

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 19, 2004 - 08:21 AM

No additive / cleaner

take the carb aprat and clean it.....
along with the air filter :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 19, 2004 - 09:55 AM

No additive / cleaner

take the carb aprat and clean it.....
along with the air filter :thumbsup:

Ditto. The carb is not bad at all. The quick way is take it out of the boots, remove the float bowl and shoot cleaner through every hole that you see, including the two holes on the air-filter side of the carb. Remove the fuel screw and shoot some cleaner in there too (check how many turns out the screw is set to before you remove it). Then follow the cleaner with compressed air if you have any. You can also disassemble the accelerator pump if you like, but don't get any carb cleaner on the rubber parts. It will make them swell up quite a bit.

• WeeeRacing

Posted June 20, 2004 - 04:00 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna change the plug and clean the filter, if that doesn't work i'll clean the carb.

sirthumpalot - I'm in S.Florida too. Where do you ride ?

I cleaned the air filter yesterday. Now the bike runs even worse :thumbsup: The slight lug on the bottom end is like 3-4 times as bad now. Any Ideas ?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.