2004 xr650r engine noise

1 reply to this topic
  • darnat2

Posted June 18, 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hello, hoping someone here can help me out on a question, I have a 04 xr650r with 90 miles on it and the engine has always been noisy on the bottom end, lots of gear noise etc. Yesterday I noticed at a standstill with the clutch in and shifting into 1st gear it has a clunk going into first, if I go from neutral to second it clunks even louder(yes the clutch freeplay is correct and the oil has been changed with Honda 4 stroke oil) How noisy are these engines supposed to be? I have had xr600's in the past and never noticed so much noise. One other thing, if I put my ear directly against the clutch cover or the cover on the opposite side there is a squeal in there, you can't hear a squeal unless you have your ear directly against the cover, I'm a little worried and since this is my first 650 I was hoping you all could shed some light on this. This bike is still stock, not uncorked yet. Thanks a lot!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Husky_Forever

Posted June 18, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Take it to the dealer to be checked out. Did you buy the extended warranty? If not, do it. 4 years bumper ro bumper for a dirt bike is to good to pass up. My XR650 never made those sounds. However when the right footpeg broke off, they fixed it for free. BTW, the right footpeg is prone to breaking off. The rear bolt breaks off in the frame. Pickup a Precision Concepts right footpeg mount and you will not have to worry about it far from home.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.