YZ450F HAS LANDED

12 replies to this topic
  • mxrox

Posted July 06, 2002 - 08:54 PM

WELL THE NEW YZ450F HAS LANDED,IT WAS ON DISPLAY,AND LOOKS MIGHTY FINE,A TOTAL NEW MACHINE,AND REALLY SLIMMED DOWN,AND FLAT ACROSS THE TOP,IT WAS AT OUR MX CHAMPS HERE IN NEWZEALAND,IM OFF TO GET ONE!!,IT HAD 2 SMALL LEVERS ON THE BARS,ONE IS THE HOT START,BUT THE SECOND WAS IM NOT SURE,AS I THOUGHT IT WAS AN AUTO DECOMP,THE NEW MUFFLER CAP LOOKS SO TRICK,IN TITANIUM

• MotoGreg

Posted July 07, 2002 - 08:26 AM

I'll be at Laguna Seca next weekend for the World Superbike races. I'm sure Yam will have a YZ450 in their tent so I'll get some pics with my digital camera. Hopefully they'll have a WR450 too.

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted July 08, 2002 - 01:40 AM

if it was auto decomp, then why would there be a lever?

• mx317

Posted July 08, 2002 - 02:53 AM

The one I saw at the Yamaha dealer show had only a hot start lever mounted on the left side.

• BK14MX

Posted July 08, 2002 - 03:29 AM

Its a good idea to have a manual decomp too, just in case the auto one fails, just my two cents. pretty sure the honda, and ktm have both.

• Ken_Scherer

Posted July 08, 2002 - 08:24 AM

How could you bump start without a manual decompression? Am I missing something?
Ken..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • midwestmotocross

Posted July 08, 2002 - 08:28 AM

The guy I was riding with yesterday bump-started his 1998 YZ400 for half the day (see other message about broken kickstarter) and he didn't use the manual decompression lever.

James

• westladog

Posted July 08, 2002 - 08:38 AM

You guys are nuts. When a bike doesn't have an auto decomp, you bitch about it. When they come out with an auto, you guys wants a manual just to have it. There's no pleasing you guys.

• thumper4life

Posted July 08, 2002 - 09:35 PM

anyways...is it still possible to bump start an auto decompression bike like a manual one? just pop it in gear?

• bassr_#186

Posted July 08, 2002 - 10:03 AM

Since the auto-compression release is activated by rpm, bump starting should be essentially the same procedure as on a 2-stroke. Motor stalls = 0 rpm, thus auto-compression release is activated just as if you were about to use the kick starter.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 08, 2002 - 01:37 PM

Sidenote on the auto decompressor, the honda engages below 300 rpm, the Yamaha at 1300.
Keep your idle turned up, otherwise the bike will kill itsself!

• thumper4life

Posted July 08, 2002 - 01:43 PM

thats dumb

also, im confused by this: they say that the inertia of the crankshaft has been lessened by like 30% i think it was, does that mean we're gonna have less engine braking effect?

• newmann

Posted July 08, 2002 - 02:32 PM

The U.S. display bike that has been seen in all the magazines lately was at Glen Helen during the Yamaha Race Of Champions event. It was shiny and new one day and the next time I saw it , it looked slightly used. Someone was riding it while I wasn't looking! Same for the new 250F. This one only had the small hotstart lever over by the clutch but if you look closely in the magazines, it still has the decompression equipment on the cylinder head. Maybe the one overseas still had the decomp lever on it? One of the Yamaha guys told me that these were display or magazine bikes. Pre production prototypes if you wish. He said that hardware won't be on production bikes when they actually come out. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I also so some kooks trying to bump start a 426. That was funny! Also saw some kids playing around on one of the YROC 426's during the trophy presentation. They were talking about how hard it was to start. I watched three different little heathens try to start it. At one point I felt like telling them what the little lever was for but decided.....naaaaaah! It was worth a laugh for myself and my son.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.