YZF400/426 for a trail bike?

25 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted June 18, 2004 - 10:26 AM

I thought I wanted to buy a WR400/426 but I'm having a hard time finding a good used one in my area in Boise. Although, it seems like there are alot of YZ400/426's for sale in my price range. How well do the YZ's do as trail bikes, or would I have to do some major mods to make it good for lugging around on trails and such?

• durtslinger

Posted June 18, 2004 - 10:28 AM

I kick some serious a$$ on the trails with my YZ.
Required stuff: bark busters, 51 tooth rear sproket, 10oz. fly wheel weight, be home by dark. :thumbsup:

• DrThumper

Posted June 18, 2004 - 11:15 AM

YZ's are awesome trail bikes with a ittle adjustement. You may not necessarily need the flywheel weight if you bolster up the lowend. Heres how I did it...lower the pilot jet to lean out the lowend (I went down 1 size), a FreePowerNow and a P-38 Lightning also helps this. You may need to soften up the suspension (I didn't, I'm FAT), hand guards, disc guards and get rid of that cheap plastic front sprocket guard and replace it for a billet one. Taller bars also helps, but thats a personel thing. Depending on your favorite trails you may also want a bigger tank.

• rush66

Posted June 18, 2004 - 11:29 AM

i had the exact same delema as you i was coming of an old xr and was looking at the wrs and found a great deal on my yz i won't ever buy a straight trail bike again although can't wait for the o6 450 :devil: My bike does great in most trails but it can get pretty clutchy in tight stuff cause the yz's weren't made to go slow but if you get a flywheel weight or an auto clutch you'll never miss the low gearing. plus i can take my bike to the track.
but the handgurads and somthing to help the lowend are a neccessity i just did the free powernow and you'll have yourself a great all around machine except be home by sunset for sure its no fun riding by flashlight :thumbsup:

• yathump

Posted June 18, 2004 - 05:17 PM

51 tooth sprocket is the only change that i made and i love my 426 on the trails, as was said above you may want to tweak the suspension some depending on how cushy of a ride you like. :thumbsup:If i were you i would ride it stock for a while and do 1 change at a time until you get it set up how you want it, the #1 thing is
Have fun :thumbsup:

• b-bike

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:10 PM

Required stuff: bark busters, 51 tooth rear sproket, 10oz. fly wheel weight, be home by dark. :thumbsup:

That is about the same as I did to my 01-YZ 426. I just added a few more things for personal taste.

(See signiture for details) :awww:

I love my bike :devil:

Boyd

• FlashGordon

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:31 PM

I have a 99 YZ400F, and ride woods trails only. Went with a 53 rear sprocket, and a 10oz flywheel weight, which made it perfect for the tightest steepest trails. I'd recommend an 8oz weight, as the 10 tames it down a bit. Can't over emphasize how much that weight helps for crawling over tough stuff. My buddy has a CRF450, and at times, he'd be spinning up steep stair steps, while I followed behind with virtually no slippage. Finally talked him into one, and now he too is a believer.
Contrary to a prior post, I went richer on my pilot, at 48, which made a huge difference on starting. It always starts on 2-3 kicks when cold, and one kick when hot. One of the better aftermarket mod's was a shorter kick starter, so you get more speed kicking it over. I almost changed my mind seeing all kinds of guys on YZF's not being able to get their bikes started, or too much back firing. Now I'm convinced it's only jetting. Used to have an XR, and there's no comparison. I think you'd be really pleased with a YZF. Advantage of the YZ over the WR is the close ratio trans, but then no light. You can get about 50-60 miles on a stock tank in the woods.

• tool

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:46 PM

there isnt a trail out there that my YZ isnt perfect for. (see signature) the cool thing about the auto clutch is i can now do the tightest hillclimbs in the woods with 15/47 gearing. top speed- easily 70mph. the clutch remains cool and oh yea, no chance of stalling. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted June 26, 2004 - 09:58 AM

I thought I wanted to buy a WR400/426 but I'm having a hard time finding a good used one in my area in Boise. Although, it seems like there are alot of YZ400/426's for sale in my price range. How well do the YZ's do as trail bikes, or would I have to do some major mods to make it good for lugging around on trails and such?

Pothole, I have rode my 00 YZ 426 in the Boise area (Fleck Summit, Baumgardner etc) with no problems or complaints on the trails. I recommend 13/52 gears, good barkbusters, a sparky, and radiator braces as bare bones trail stuff. I have tons of other stuff on my bike too, but it's mostly personal preference. I would not hesitate to buy a YZ for the trails in the Boise area.

• cbff33YZ426

Posted July 19, 2004 - 09:00 PM

The only problem you may have is getting hammered by the stock MX suspension. You may want to consider sending your suspension to factory connect or someone that reworks suspension. It isn't all that expensive. If you can soak up some of the rough stuff, instead of bouncing off of it, it will go a long ways to help prevent getting launched out of control and stalling out. Factory Connect set my suspension up for my riding ability, and had to change my rear spring. But it makes a world of difference,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426FPilot

Posted July 19, 2004 - 09:09 PM

I weight 180 & my stock suspension on my YZ426 is perfect for trails. WAY more progressive than my 93 WR250. That was either mush or harsh.

• oldNslo

Posted July 20, 2004 - 03:06 AM

I've left mine bone stock and love it. She's a bit touchy as stated above and probably could use a couple of mods but I've decided to ride a season before making any changes. I go about 220 and the suspension seems excellent to me. Also, having done no engine mods at all I can tell you this.....I start 1-3 kicks cold every time (even in the winter) and first kick every time from hot to 1 day cold even! I throw around a 900lb Harley so the YZ's weight or the clutch-throttle combo's on the trails aren't a factor. She does run a little hot but it's not been a problem yet this year. In my opinion this is a great all around bike and would recommend it to anyone.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 20, 2004 - 05:57 AM

Ok let me be the voice of reason here. I have a 99 yz400 as well as an 04 CRF250X.

I have trail rode the 400 for years and loved it except for one thing. If you get into REALLY tight terain they tend to overheat. The bikes need to move to stay cool. When you start to crawl they get hot. Not much you can to to prevent that either. This one issue with the overheating is what finially drove me to but an offroad bike (the X)

But I gotta say. And this is not a slam on Yamaha either. But now that I have my X for the woods. I find it really hard to ride my YZ400 in the woods. The bike just dont feel right anymore. I have rode WR250's and 400's, yz 426's and CRF450's in the woods as well. And they are great bikes. But now that I have seen the light about offroad bikes vs mx bikes, I love my offroad bike for what it was designed to do. That bike is awsome in the woods. Everyone that rides it raves about it.

I know this is the wrong forum to be preaching RED. But I do still have the Yamaha and love it. So I go both ways :thumbsup:

Point is that offroad bikes really do work good in the enviroment that they were designed for.

• R_Little

Posted July 20, 2004 - 08:09 AM

I'm getting an extra set of suspension revlaved and shortened 1" to make it more rock and root friendly.

I found that MX suspension caused the bike to bounce all over the place unless you ride real fast and hit all the trail junk hard and straight on. The minute I sat down the fun was over.

Mind you the trails in the NE are nothing like the SW. They are 2nd gear trails full of rock gardens/ roots and deep mud.

Also get a WR overflow tank to handle boil overs.

Of course if you ride this kind of stuff in 3rd and 4th gear, just PIN IT!

• JMC

Posted July 21, 2004 - 12:51 PM

I LOVE MINE TOO AS TRAIL BIKE. FAST, DEPENDABLE AND I CAN BEAT UP ON MY FRIENDS 250'S. MOSTLY STOCK W/ P.C. T4 FULL EXHAUST. ONLY ONE PROBLEM, I AM AFRAID IT WON'T BE A GOOD KID CHASER, GETS TO HOT. I'LL BE TAKING MY BOYS (6 AND 8)
FOR THE FIRST TIME ON THEIR ON THE 50's THURSDAY AND I AM ALITTLE WORRIED. ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP IT COOLER? I CAN'T HAVE TWO OFF ROAD BIKES, ONE FOR THE GUYS AND ONE FOR THE FAMILY. I WOULD HATE TO GIVE UP ON THE YZF BUT I MAY HAVE TO TRADE TO A XR OR SIMILAR. I GUESS I WILL KNOW IN A DAY OR SO!

• jdd123

Posted July 21, 2004 - 02:09 PM

I did not consider heat. The WR's have a larger radiator. Also, the WR's have a spark arrestor and noise supression. If your forest service checks, then you will have to look into the cost of modifying your YZ's stock exhaust. You may find that the gearing may need to be lowered as these bikes are like a bronco when trying to go slow. They keep bucking to go fast.

I have finally seen the light on the trail vs mx bike. I see how the MX bike is great for MX and the trail bike is great for trail. But, I still feel that the Yamaha trail bikes I had were too anemic for tall hills or completely off track desert dirt riding. The WR250F really became powerful for trails when I performed the free mods to it. I think that trail bikes were weakened so that you do not break traction. However, that is not an issue with good throttle control.

The YZ will work but you will need a couple of modifications.

• yz426onNOS

Posted July 21, 2004 - 02:15 PM

The yz is great for all around use. I used mine in trails for 4 year in the northwest. I love that bike. The best mod I did was suppension. I spent $1,300 at motopro. Got all the good stuff. Excepet the bling, bling. I could go two gears faster through almost all the trails after that mod. The most importain one is the spark arrester. Get those two and you will love it!

• Ernie1

Posted July 22, 2004 - 11:54 AM

Sorry guys, what is a fly wheel weigth? bark buster?
Be patient, I'm trying to learn here... :devil:

• Ernie1

Posted July 23, 2004 - 11:27 AM

Advantage of the YZ over the WR is the close ratio trans, but then no light. You can get about 50-60 miles on a stock tank in the woods.

Would you explainto me this a little bit? Close ratio trans?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 23, 2004 - 01:22 PM

Advantage of the YZ over the WR is the close ratio trans, but then no light. You can get about 50-60 miles on a stock tank in the woods.

Would you explainto me this a little bit? Close ratio trans?

The wr has taller internal gear ratios for more top speed. Nut it also has a super low 1st gear.

A yz's tranny is geared more towards exploding outta corners and mind numbing aceleration.

Also a flywheel weight goes on the flywheel. It helps give the motor more rotating mass and helps keep it from stalling, makes the motor a little tamer, helps with traction. Does lots of good things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 First impressions by Scott_72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz426 with 03 yz450 sleeve and head. Possible? by MattyDubz426f

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Cycra Powerflow Plastic Kit YZ250F/YZ450F (2014/15) by Quake

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 yz450 suspension setups share yours by tjhooker

• 12 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ450F 2015
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by dios de la tierra
  • On November 12, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.