Brake bleeding made easy

5 replies to this topic
  • moto_madman

Posted July 05, 2002 - 07:57 PM

This method works great. Most of you probably know about it but all the others will benefit.

Get bottle (honda hp-2 tranny fluid bottles and similar work great). Drill a hole in the cap. Then get some clear rubber hose (like carb breather hose) and stuff a little bit into the hole in the cap. Fill the bottle (not completely) with brake fluid. Drain your brake system, take the cap off the master cylinder, and loosen the bleeder valve. Connect the end of the hose to the bleeder. Then sqeeze the bottle until the master cylnder fills with fluid. While still keeping pressure on the bottle tighten the bleeder. Put the cap back on the master cylinder and pump the lever. If you did it right you should have strong firm feeling brakes. If you dont have good pressure no problem. Just bleed the brakes as you normally would. It should only take a short amount of bleeding to get the remaining air out.

I use this method all the time. It takes about five minutes including assembling and bleeding the remaining air out.

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 06, 2002 - 02:47 AM

Whole heartidly (sp?) agree.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 06, 2002 - 04:12 AM

So I can get rid of the leachesNow RIght ? :)

Good advise thanks will try it out....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Optik

Posted July 07, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Stupid question,

Is the bleeder valve the one on the master cylinder or the one near the front wheel?

• Hick

Posted July 07, 2002 - 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Optik:
Stupid question,

Is the bleeder valve the one on the master cylinder or the one near the front wheel?

I believe they are referring to the bleeder nipple down by the caliper.

A large veterinarian syringe also works well for this chore. Next time you drive by a feed store run in and buy a few, they also work good for adjusting fork oil level.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 08, 2002 - 02:12 PM

I wondered how long it was gonna take before somebody brought farm animals into this forum! :)

Hick, can you buy a sringe from the feed store? Im in Ca. and just about everything is illegal here, I heard they were going after french fries of all things. Back to point, how big are these syringes, cc wise? 50? 100?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.