426 Engine- Loud knock

2 replies to this topic
  • barry

Posted July 06, 2002 - 05:09 AM

i have a problem with my 2000 426
loud knocking sound on left side.
I have checked timing chain and valves and they are fine and in tune.
Knocking can be very noticible especially when bike is idleing.
Im not sure what it is and i do not know if my bike is safe to ride right now.
Too worryed about having my engine blow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 06, 2002 - 11:15 AM

describe the knocking sound, and also when did it start?

• Boit

Posted July 06, 2002 - 04:57 PM

The '00 has a design flaw with the mounting of the counter balancer gear. It is held in place by a key. The key wears over time and shaft becomes loose, hence the noise. This design was corrected in subsequent year models by making the counter balancer fit via splines. You can check this fairly easily by washing the engine first and then laying it over on its left side. Remove the clutch cover on the right side and check the balancer for freeplay.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.