flag mounts

8 replies to this topic
  • CrAzYmOtOmAn411

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:18 PM

Going to the sand dunes soon and i need to know what the best way to mount a flag to my yz 450. Any ideas would be great!

• INJURY_69

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:33 PM

My bud just drilled a hole thru the middle of his fender, about 2 in. back from the seat.

Made me feel dumb for spending $30 on a armature that still required drilling into the plasic! :thumbsup:

• CrAzYmOtOmAn411

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:09 PM

Well i thought about doign that but my only concern was what if the plastic breaks? Ill assume that this was not an issue in your friends case?

• INJURY_69

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:18 PM

Correct...held up great

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fly-nBri

Posted June 18, 2004 - 02:45 AM

I made a mount for mine that slides over the axle out of thick aluminum. Works great! Try using some thin steel extruded angle or thicker alunimun. Once cut, drill hole for axle and hole for flag. Viola! :thumbsup:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted June 18, 2004 - 02:52 AM

I have an steel angle that is like 2" x 2" x 2" x .125 thk. It has 2 holes in it. One large one in one of the flanges for the axle bolt and a smaller one in the other flange for the flag.

Only downside of these is that you really have to crank the axle bolt down to keep the flag from spinning. But you get it tight and you wont have any trouble.

• dmp437

Posted June 18, 2004 - 05:42 AM

David Allen Racing at the entrence to the Dunes has a setup for bikes along with the best (stiffest pole) flags. Their mount setup is two pieces of angle bolted together and mounted on the rear axle. You could get by with one piece of angle but it would have to be 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" with one side cut down to match the slot in the swingarm.

Make sure you have a spark arrester on the muffler. They'll check for that even if they don't do a sound check.

what if the plastic breaks?

It will break, or cause enough stress to give you those attractive white stress marks. Michigan requires a taller pole (10') than almost anywhere else, and the height is considered while under motion. I've seen people refused entry because the flag pole was too flexible so the flag was too low when the person was going to be riding. The leverage from the 10' flag, IMO, would bust the rear fender.

• 426F

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:50 AM

• Davidyz450

Posted June 19, 2004 - 12:43 PM

check previous threads I have a great one that bolts inside the rear fender and kicks out the left side behind the seat. I forgot where I got it. It was about 25 bucks.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.