Dilemma... WR250F or YZ450F?

6 replies to this topic
  • ovrrdrive

Posted June 17, 2004 - 01:46 PM

Sorry for the cross post, but I wanted the opinions of both groups of riders. I have also seen a ton of posts like this, but not between a wr250f and a yz450f.

Ok, I know these two bikes are like apples to oranges, but I have to choose between them. I wanted a WR450f but the dealer I am talking to can't get one until after the new year. However, he has a YZ450 and a WR250 that he will give me an unbelievable price on so I'm probably going to choose one of them.

My history, you're gonna laugh. I haven't been on a dirt bike in like 15 years. I have been riding on the street though, and recently sold my 130rwhp FZ1 (~10.25 @ ~ 125mph). I developed quite a need for speed on that bike and decided to sell it while I was still in one piece and go back to the dirt.

As you can guess, I'm looking for a fast bike that I can satisfy my adrenaline rush requirements on. That's why I was looking at a 450F. The reason I decided on the WR was the lower 1 st gear and the 5th gear, the kickstand, and the estart. I know I could add the estart and the kickstand, but the tranny will stay the same.

My riding will be in sand pits and trail riding, and maybe after I get comfortable some mild motocross. I am also going to learn to wheelie better. I was so terrified to do it on the street and now I want to learn it. The bike must have ample power to do that easily.

The dealer says that I won't notice the lack of a low 1st gear because the bike has the power to pull it. He also says the wr250F is pretty fast too. And the 250F is a WR and has the extra features I wanted, but I'm sure I would like the YZ450F too.

In case you're wondering, yes, the prices are just that good and I like the dealer. He has responded to about 20 of my emails the same day and called me about 3 different times. I'd really like to buy from him, and I'd end up getting the bike for me and a TT125L for my wife cheaper than I could get just the Wr450F locally.

I guess the deciding factor is the power level of the WR250F. I'm just afraid that after the sportbike and the speed addiction I have developed I'll grow bored with the 250...

I'm buying tomorrow afternoon so quick replies would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

• blackie

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:53 PM

Definitely buy the YZ450. You will be disappointed by the power of the WR250, even the WR450. I ride exactly what you ride and I have loved the YZ450. My only concern was the 1.8 gallon tank. I bought a 2.8 gallon Clark tank to use on desert rides which solved that problem.

John

• squad56

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:26 PM

get the 450f. like you said you can always modify the bike to how you want it. i had this dilemma as well. i bought the 450. and since you are so used to the speed of the street bike the 450 will be good for you. you will be very disappointed if you buy the wr.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'm starting to lean towards the YZ450f. I'm afraid that if I don't get it, I'll regret it. Besides, I'm getting a good enough deal on it that I think I could always sell it in January for what I'll owe and get a WR if I still want to go that way.

• squad56

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:13 PM

welcome to team blue

• Vet28

Posted June 18, 2004 - 02:19 AM

There's nothing similar about the teo bikes you are considering. Do you want a wimpmy old man trail bike, or a kick *ss MX machine? If you riding doesn't involved alot of MX, buy the 450 and tune it down with gearing. Personally, I cwould be hard pressed to even buy a 250F.

Go 450...we're men...we do everything to excess.

Vet28

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 18, 2004 - 03:15 AM

There's nothing similar about the teo bikes you are considering. Do you want a wimpmy old man trail bike, or a kick *ss MX machine? If you riding doesn't involved alot of MX, buy the 450 and tune it down with gearing. Personally, I cwould be hard pressed to even buy a 250F.

Go 450...we're men...we do everything to excess.

Vet28

Well, I wanted a kick ass trail bike with electric start and a kickstand. :thumbsup:

I'm getting the YZ450f. I need the rush and I doubt I'd get that from the 250f. Even the guys on the 250 forum said I should get the 450f. That should say something.

Thanks for the replies. :awww:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.