Yet another jetting problem

1 reply to this topic
  • yamaha426

Posted July 03, 2002 - 04:52 PM

I know that you guys are tired of answering questions about jetting and I have used the serach and read until the wee hours of the morning about jetting but I think I still need more help. My 2002 is still stock and runs fairly well. It can be kind of hard to start sometimes but most of the time is starts on the first or second kick, I have to use the choke to start it first thing but after its warm I never use the hot start...it won't even try to fire with it out....but it starts fine with no choke and no hot start. When I first got the bike the fuel screw was a little too rich so I leaned it out and it ran better...but it seems that the as the temperature gets close to 100 the bike stutters when you gun the engine but not go past 1/4 throttle. Also the inside of my muffler tip is very black and my plugs have always been very black. It also dies occasionally if I don't warm it up enough. Should I go with a smaller pilot jet.....change clip postions.....mess with the fuel screw more? :) If you can't tell I'm kind of lost here, jetting is way over my head.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted July 03, 2002 - 06:25 PM

When it gets hot your bike will run richer. You will need to turn in the fuel screw and/or go to a smaller pilot.

I have a stock '01 and I am currently running a 40 pilot instead of the stock 42 pilot and one clip position leaner (higher). I don't know where the fuel screw is but it's somewhere between 1-2 turns out.

If you can't find the happy medium for your fuel screw position, that's when you need to go smaller. Turn it in 1/4-1/2 turn at a time. If the idle starts hanging before you get a nice snappy throttle response, then you need the smaller pilot.

So, probably smaller on the pilot and one clip position leaner ought to take care of it, at least for 0-3/4 throttle. I have a smaller main but haven't tried it out yet, that will affect 1/2-WOT but I rarely ride at WOT!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.