Hand guard installation

2 replies to this topic
  • beengoneawhile

Posted July 03, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Ok, I'm trying to install a pair of Fredette hand guards on a YZ (I also posted this in the WR area) and I've got a question. On the throttle side there is a ton of space between the end of the throttle tube and where the handle bar starts. How have people kept the end of the hand guard centered so that it doesn't interfere with the throttle?

What I'm thinking is get a longer bolt (that extents into the handlebar further), create a spacer that's the depth of the throttle tube extention, then put the rubber hose and the nut at the end.

Any other suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • armourbl

Posted July 03, 2002 - 06:07 AM

I don't have the same hand guards you are using but I'll try to answer.

The bar insert for the guard is designed to expand inside the handle bar tube. Once it has expanded it should remain very secure.

On my guards (Pro Rally) I had to enlarge the hole on the throttle tube to allow for enough room to insert the bar insert. For this I took the throttle tube off and drilled it slowly with varying size drill bits increasing the size slowly to prevent cracking the throttle tube. You could also just cut off the end of the throttle tube.

Then when you expand the insert, make sure you have some room between the throttle tube and the hand guard. You may also have to cut off the edge of your grip to prevent binding.

ben

• Private_Joker

Posted July 03, 2002 - 06:28 AM

I used a hacksaw to cut off the very end of the throttle tube. No binding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.