yz450f-wr450 differences????

8 replies to this topic
  • tdd6405

Posted June 16, 2004 - 01:46 PM

hey, besides cam timing, and the wr being a 5 speed, is there any more differences between the yzf motor and the wr?

and the wr's also have an electric start and kick don't they?

• tdd6405

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:45 AM

anybody know???

• gonzo

Posted June 17, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Pipe is different. Lots of lights. About 40lbs. And some other visual stuff. I am not really sure of all of it.

• Butta

Posted June 17, 2004 - 08:10 AM

Where to begin.... The WR has a wide ratio 5-speed, YZ is a close-ratio 4 speed. WR has 18 inch rear wheel, YZ has 19 inch. The timing is different, the jetting different (due to the timing and the pipe...motors are set up differently). WR has a heavier flywheel, too, I believe, plus a stator capable of running lights. The WR's suspension is a little softer and more trail friendly, while the YZ's is more configured for the hard hitting mx type obstacles. I believe the radiators are the same, but the WR has a collection bottle for the coolant for when it heats up with slow speed trail riding. And yes, electric start for the WR... I'm sure there are more subtle differences, but these are the largest ones I could think of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fathom

Posted June 17, 2004 - 01:38 PM

WR= Wimpy Ride

YZ= Yowwie Zowwie!

• blackie

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:55 PM

POWER.. The WR450 is definitely lacking in POWER.

• tdd6405

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:01 PM

i know this.. my question is differences in the motor. if you change the wr timing to yz specs, and use a yz exhaust, and do those free mods, will the wr run the same as the yz, but with 5 speed instead of 4?

im only asking cuz i want to put one of the motors in my quad. so i dont care about the chassis, im just worried about motor vs. motor

• blackie

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:04 PM

NO. You will also need to replace the WR cam with a YZ cam. The WR comes very tame. It will require some work to make it feel like a YZ. You can check the posts on the WR side to see all of the work that these guys have done to make their WRs feel like a YZ.

• tdd6405

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:23 PM

okay well thats okay to me cuz i have an 03 yz450 exhaust cam already :thumbsup: is the intake different also? i tried a search but didnt see anything

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.