Rear Hard Pack Tire?

3 replies to this topic
  • SLO_Rider

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:43 PM

I have always used Dunlop’s and all my friends do as well, so I have to rely on you guys for an honest opinion. I have my own motocross track, which consists of 99% hard pack during the summer (more like concrete with gravel on top). My Dunlop 739's hold up well for the conditions but is there a longer lasting tire out there? Some here on the board have mentioned Maxxis while others suggest Michelin’s. What is the most durable in your opinion? I'm only looking for a durable practice tire, not one to race on. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• 426guy

Posted July 02, 2002 - 05:33 PM

if you want the best hard track tire of all time.. nothing better then a bridgestone M22..best "blue groove" tire ever made..
if you want a long lasting hard track tire.. i would vote for a Michelin MH2. i use that tire and it lasts forever..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hootna

Posted July 02, 2002 - 06:50 PM

I doubt that you will find a longer lasting tire, that still sticks on hard pack than your 739s. I ran my last set for 4 months until the front knobs were 1/2 of the heigth at the front compared to the rear of the knob, and the rear tire had knobs that were 1/4 inch tall. The funny thing is they still hooked up, if you are on blue groove the less tread the better!!!
The M22/M23 sticks like heck until it starts to wear. Once that happens you will find yourself eating cement. I would stick with the 739s they rock on bluegroove and Dunlop tires cant be beat.

• Fireballsocal

Posted July 03, 2002 - 03:38 PM

A buddy had bridgestones on his KX and my 739 lasted almost twice as long as his rear knob did. They seemed to be made of a harder rubber that tended to "scrape" off on rocks where the 739 just hooked up. I use 739's front and back for the desert but I think they would be the best bet for what your looking for. If you want to hook up more, try lowering your air pressure by two PSI. Just don't lower it so there is a risk of dinking a tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.