Fork Seal driver

8 replies to this topic
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Has anyone came up with a good alternative to reseating new fork seals without the need to buying the $50-60 fork seal driver they sell? I figure some handy person has came up with something that will not tear up the new seals upon installation.

• ddialogue

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:04 PM

I used to use a piece of PVC, cut down the middle, similar to fork seal drivers. The only problem I had was the lack of weight to pound the seals in.

I eventually broke down and bought the seal driver and life is much happier for me. :thumbsup:

• gloft

Posted June 16, 2004 - 02:47 PM

I also broke down and bought the drivers. They're expensive but they sure make the task a lot easier. As much mud as I ride I figured I'll be replacing seals on a regular basis :thumbsup:

• YamaGeek

Posted June 16, 2004 - 03:46 PM

I managed to install mine twice by taking the old seal, cutting it in half and carefully hammering the new seal in with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snapper

Posted June 16, 2004 - 06:41 PM

check out motoman393's info - he made a seal driver with a piece of PVC - I had already bought one but PVC works.

• unkle_george

Posted August 09, 2004 - 06:53 PM

Bam! Bam! ... Damn it... :devil: Bam! Bam! .....
Drive in the metal piece _first_, then the seal. If only I'd read the directions. BTW, PVC pipe works fine.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 10, 2004 - 09:32 AM

Bam! Bam! ... Damn it... :thumbsup: Bam! Bam! .....
Drive in the metal piece _first_, then the seal.

Ditto. Metal piece definitly firt.

I use PVC, but I also hose clamp it to my fork tube. It makes it easier to bang the seals in place.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted August 10, 2004 - 11:55 AM

thanks for all the input, I ended up using a heavy cardboard tube cut in two to drive my seals in and oh yeah metal part first then seal :thumbsup:. the cardboard tube was available at work and didnt cost me anything, sort of a disposible fork seal driver.

• The_Missile

Posted August 16, 2004 - 09:30 PM

I tapped in the ?bushing? first VERY lightly with a flatbladed screwdriver, just to engage it. You need to be very careful to avoid damage. Then, when it was aligned, the big metal 'washer' over the top and the pvc tubing as a driver. If you grip the pvc tightly enough (use zip ties !!) you can use the weight of the fork slider to bash the bushings into place. Very effective.

For the seals&wipers I used the pvc pipe as well. Works awesome and only cost me 3$ !!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.