Longevity of the WR400's

15 replies to this topic
  • Wrfrk

Posted June 16, 2004 - 11:24 AM

So I was curious, to those that still have a '98 WR400, how's your bike holding out and what has been the biggest repair that's been needed. Also, how many miles are on your bike if you even know?

• BrandonW

Posted June 16, 2004 - 11:31 AM

I might have the most rag-tagged '98 out there. :thumbsup:

My problems have included 3 carb-slide plates fracturing and being injested by the engine (check your throttle stops!), bent frame rails, trashed the linkage and swingarm (check your lubrication in your bearings!) and my fork seals give me fits sometimes.

I would conservatively guess that I have 15,000 miles on my bike. Still on the original set of rings (will be replacing those next time I go in) and the bike still rips.

Great bikes, no doubt about it.

• Wrfrk

Posted June 16, 2004 - 11:36 AM

I actually have an '00 400 but I wanted to see what kinds of things I should expect down the road. Fortunately that carb slide thing is not an issue on the '00 model.

• dkwok

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:00 AM

yep,
my son's 98wr4 have been reliable as anything except for the carb slide,
get aftermarket ones and they shld last a long time,
a fren helped us to adjust the valves after abt 2 yrs of use,

:thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted June 17, 2004 - 07:45 AM

I've got a 98 that threw a rod (actually split in two, lengthwise) and granaded the bottom of the motor. I swapped it with a 99 YZ motor (stole the flywheel/stator from the WR, though). Everything else has been above my expectations. Fork seals, yes, they are a pain, but that's about it.

No idea how many miles are on it, I've put 1400 in the last 3 years (not a lot)...

• wnbecker

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:28 PM

Hi, I have '98 WR400 that I bought new in July '98. It has been supremely reliable since then. I have over 500 hours on it, mostly trails and motocross tracks. A ProTec kickstarter lever makes it easier to start (shorter length, motor spins faster) Only parts replaced are 1 back tire and chain & sprockets. Original rings, valves, clutch plates, fork seals and linkage bushings. I change the oil every 6-8 hours, coolant every year. I've been riding for 37 years, have owned or ridden most of the popular MX, Enduro and Dual Sport bikes during that time and this has been my favorite bike. I believe Yamaha dialed it in right with this 5 valve design, and while there are many other great brands and models available this one would not disappoint anybody. One suggestion would be to avoid the '03 due to the flywheel key shearing problem. I'm considering the '04 or '05 this year and if I get one it will probably last me for rest of my riding years. I also have a '00 YZ426 (son's bike). I replaced the rings, piston and valves this past winter. My son rides hard (6 back tires, 4 chains & sprockets, 2 sets of rear liankage bushings, 4 sets of clutch plates on a Hinson basket and a dozen fork seals). I was very impressed with the ease of this job (great owner's manual) and that the cylinder had no wear.

• The_Missile

Posted June 18, 2004 - 05:11 AM

About the only thing that needs replacing on my 98 wr is me.
It doesnt get used too much but when it does I thrash it and it never complains.
Things I have busted....many.

Things tha have busted on their own...carb slide, rear light bulb many times!
Throttle cable wears prematurely

......I'm hunting for bad things to say.. :awww: :thumbsup:

• rockieman

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:07 AM

I've got a '99 that I bought new that has almost 7000 miles on it. Outside of the expected, fork seals, throttle cable, brake pads, I haven't had to do one thing to mine. Previous bike was an XR600 which are legendary for their durability....I acutally had more issues with it then my WR. I change the oil every 500 miles (it doesn't burn a drop), fork oil and suspension lube once/twice a season and that's basically it.
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted June 18, 2004 - 08:46 AM

I have a 2000 WR with 3 seasons of regular riding.

Only problem I ever had was a slightly twisted cam journal from, I presume, riding the bike on the highway @ 65+ and riding in cold <30 deg weather.

Other than that....Bwaaappp....

• rush66

Posted June 18, 2004 - 11:39 AM

im a yz guy and was wondering the same thing i bought the bike used a while back and its been great i've got lots of mods to everything else but havn't touched the motor i was wondering how you can tell when you need to adjust the valves ?

• Guy

Posted June 20, 2004 - 11:34 AM

:thumbsup: I have a 99 WR 400, it has done one season of Enduro's, 4 years of Trails and MX, 2 years of that it has also been used extensively on the road as a Super Motard, with all the associated abuse entailed there, it has done numerous Track excursions as an Sm.......the only thing I have broken ????
a Water pump seal and impeller....

I did the valve clearances.......once..they havn't moved since.... :devil:

• PMAUST

Posted June 20, 2004 - 07:19 PM

I have a 2000 WR400F that I bought new. The bike has been extremely reliable. It is California Green sticker and plated so I have no intention of getting rid of it! :thumbsup:

• mrudy

Posted June 21, 2004 - 12:32 PM

My '99 has seen lots of abuse. Many enduros, many hare scrambles, trail rides, some motocross tracks, deep sand, mucky mud, hills, dells and gullies. To estimate 4,000 miles would be a conservative guess.

Typical replacements include a few bearrings here and there (steering head, 2 in the swingarm and the bottom hyme-ball bearring for shock). Front fork seals blow only because sometimes I'm too lazy to clean them off after muddy rides. Replaced clutch cable. I've checked valves several times each year and they haven't budged.

I've crashed numerous times and tweaked the radiators, but after installing DeVol radiator guards they've been indestructable. MSR Skidplate has been a wise investment. I put a hole through the side cover on a rock in the first year. Ever since installing the skidplate, nothing touches the shifter, rear brake lever nor sidecovers.

I grew up riding XR's in which I never did any maintenance outside of air filters and oil. They were bullet proof. The WR's I've owned (also owned 01 WR250F) have proven themselves to be very reliable and have superb longevity.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:46 PM

My younger brother has a 1998 YZ400F that he bought new in 1998 when they first came out. His bike has been incredibly reliable!!! I bet the engine in that bike has 8000 miles on it or more and not one single problem.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 22, 2004 - 12:32 PM

Mine has been bullet proof, almost XR like. 2,000 miles, all off-road, cross-country racing, many bad crashes. Only one valve adjust, when I replaced the cam with a 450 cam. Steering head bearings, normal other maintenance. The key is to treat the maintenance as if it was a race bike (which it is) change the oil offend, check all bolts and fasteners. I put a deposit down on a 05 450, but I'll keep and ride this one till I can't ride no more. :thumbsup:

• scott_h

Posted June 22, 2004 - 07:14 PM

I have a 98 WR400 that I bought used in 2000 with an unknown amount of time/miles on it. Since owning it I have not had any significant problems which includes over 8000 dual sport and trail ride miles and a handful of enduro and desert races. The only time I’ve ever had to stop during a ride to work on the bike was to bleed the rear brake which started to drag excessively. This bike is dual sported and I’ve ridden four LA-Barstow-to-Vegas rides, two China Lake 300’s a few other longer distance two day events such as Big Bear and Mammoth since owning it. I do put in a lot of preventative maintenance hours following each ride (oil, filters, cables, jetting, clutch, chain, tires, etc.). I typically do the bigger stuff like valve train inspection, wheel, steering, fork, shock, and linkage clean and rebuilds about three or four times each year. I’ll overhaul the engine next month for the first time since I know it’s due and I’m curious to see how things inside are holding up as I’ve never had the head off of this bike. I’ve been accumulating spare suspension and wheels and will be setting this bike up for relatively quick conversion to flat track and supermoto configurations later on this year and will try a few of these type races on it this fall/winter.

Last year I picked up a 99 WR and have been using it to run the D37 BOTW and enduro series. This bike takes a pretty good beating every time I race it and I’ve been monitoring things like compression and valve clearance following each race very closely. So far, none of the engine specs have changed significantly. I’ve found that if you stay on top of the routine maintenance, these bikes (like most stuff these days) are good for several years of trouble free hard riding/racing.

One last thought, since The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia no longer allows dual sport conversions, I plan on hanging on to both of these bikes (both are plated) for many more years and I have a lot of confidence I’ll be able to keep both bikes in race ready condition for many years to come. My 2¢.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.