Going Two stroke for 2005

18 replies to this topic
  • njdent

Posted June 16, 2004 - 10:03 AM

Full Speed Ahead
At Yamaha, two-stroke development continues full speed ahead, and another Supercross Championship for the YZ250 only adds incentive to make the bike even more competitive for 2005.

Introducing the all-new aluminum framed YZ250 - strong like bull, five pounds lighter, and retaining the geometry and handling for which YZ is legendary.

Rigid and lighter swingarm
Revised linkage
All-new fork using all-new transfer control valves
New aluminum Renthal handlebar
.... and about a hundred other details designed to produce an even more unbeatable power-to-weight ratio.
The YZ250 is a sharp-edged sword indeed. Its class-leading carbon-fiber reed-valve inducted YPVS-valved engine has evolved into a hard-hitting and responsive powerplant, and even more so with less weight to propel.

As delivered, the YZ250 is ready to race straight out of the crate.

Try not to be shocked at how good you are when you open this Supercross-winning performance package.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price...$6,099*

• gonzo

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:24 PM

The 2-strokes do look nice. Especially the 125. It lost 10lbs and got a stronger and more compact motor. Look out KTM. Still I wouldnt trade a thumper for one.

• Satch0922

Posted June 16, 2004 - 02:33 PM

ahhhh the marketing department gets a raise!

But seriously they do "look" nice. But it's still a two-stroke engine so if you were a thumper rider before...why wouldn't you still be a thumper rider? :thumbsup:

• Fireball

Posted June 16, 2004 - 02:35 PM

We just went 4 stroke in the 125 class. My son was getting out-gunned by the 250f's. I figured we'd be just fine in the 250 class. After last weekend, watching "slower" riders blow by him down the same long straightaway every lap, I realize that he is down on horsepower in that class, too. Look at the 1st 4 bikes in every moto so far in the outddor nationals. 2 strokes are falling behind bigtime in the pure horsepower race. `05 will see us completely on 4 strokes. It's coming. Might as well accept it! I see a YZ 450 in our future.

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:27 PM

ah, but Yamaha got smart and went back to the 6sp trans! That means better gear ratios for the power band and more top speed then the 5 sp (including the Fs!).

That 125 looks killer, 198lbs ready to ride!

• B86_Racer

Posted June 16, 2004 - 05:25 PM

the 5 sp (including the Fs!).

On Yamaha's website, it shows the YZ450F still having a 4-speed (still) and the YZ250F still having a 5-speed... :thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 16, 2004 - 09:04 PM

I think what he meant was that it'd have more top speed than the older 5 speed, INCLUDING the four strokes (with their 4 speed trannies). If you look at the design of the new 125, with it's angled engine for a straighter intake (very KTMish) and vast engine revisions, I think it will definitely get close to running with the 4's. . . remember I said "CLOSE". . .

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 17, 2004 - 01:28 AM

I can't believe they took THAT much weight off! Usually we get excited when it's 1-2# lighter, but 10# on the 125? Damn, where did it come from? Makes me wonder what they can do to the 4-strokes in the future. :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 17, 2004 - 02:21 AM

I'm impressed with Yamahas two strokes... Great job! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:28 AM

the 5 sp (including the Fs!).

On Yamaha's website, it shows the YZ450F still having a 4-speed (still) and the YZ250F still having a 5-speed... :thumbsup:

F as in the 250F for the same race class as the 125. Sorry for the misque there.

• YZ426FPilot

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:34 AM

Someone just need to make 2 strokes that could compete with the 4 strokes in the horsepower race. All the manufactures have been laggin behind. When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... :thumbsup:

• midwestmotocross

Posted June 17, 2004 - 04:57 AM

The "power" as in peak horsepower is similar. Yes, the 250Fs have a big edge down low, but the 125s rev SO much faster.

The decision between an F and a 2 is snap vs. traction. If you like snap, go with the 2. If you place a premium on traction, go with the F. One is right for some, the other for others. Personally, I think the snap of a 2 is much more fun, but, yes, it does wear you out quicker and most people will go faster on an F for a longer period of time if they learn to carry corner speed.

This six-speed, 190# YZ125 is going to change some minds, though. You can count on that.

When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted June 17, 2004 - 10:59 AM

If I was going 2smoke for 2005, the YZ250 would be my choice. That is one badass looking motorcycle....alum frame is sweet!

• felony

Posted June 17, 2004 - 01:26 PM

yeah even though i hate to admit it,i love my 4 stroke and i really really think it has helped me become a better rider,but there are times when i daydream about buying a lighter,easier to man handle 2smoke,i kinda miss my kx250,hmmm.. :thumbsup: :awww:

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 17, 2004 - 01:32 PM

.... When you have a YZ250F that has enough power to be competitive in a true 250cc class on the right track, and the 450's are reaching true open class power out of the box theres a problem.... :thumbsup:

Interesting angle. I am guessing that when they first came out with the displacement rules that they did not imagine 4-strokes developing like they have. Then again maybe they did, I don't know, but it's a neat theory!

• Jeffro426

Posted June 17, 2004 - 05:33 PM

So why no alum. framed 450?? :thumbsup:

• squad56

Posted June 17, 2004 - 09:02 PM

im thinkin its because yamaha spent all their time with the 2strokes for 05. and its because they might not have figured out how to make the aluminum frame into an oil resevior.

• Anssi

Posted June 18, 2004 - 04:44 AM

I know it is because they want to spread the cost of development and tooling over several years.

• KillerHiller

Posted June 18, 2004 - 05:03 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...maha_yz250.aspx

Sure is pretty!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.