Jumping these blue beasts...

28 replies to this topic
  • westladog

Posted July 02, 2002 - 11:31 AM

But before you even try jumping, setting up your suspension is the key. Once I got the proper springs for my weight, my confidence in riding and jumping went way up!

dont even try doubles unless you have master tabletops. I still don't have enough balls to try doubles....

• Hokie

Posted July 02, 2002 - 11:38 AM

Here is my $0.02 on this subject....

As stated before don't chop the throttle.
Chopping the throttle = concussion, I learned that the hard way.

If you are hitting the jump and are almost revved out in a gear, shift up to the next higher gear so the bike is pulling all the way up the face of the jump. My 426 seems to fly better if it is not revved all the way out on the take off.

Also, if the nose is constantly flying low, check your shock rebound, if it is too fast it can cause a nose dive.

• JSTheJack

Posted July 02, 2002 - 12:45 PM

On the jump approach, pin it and scoot back all the way to the end of the seat, stay seated. Nah! Just kidding. That's a recipe for disaster.

I think alot of good guys have given you straight up advice. One thing you might want to do is to just watch the body english and listen to the engines of the good riders when they jump. Also notice how they preload the suspension on the face of the jump.

Like others said, start small. You really don't ever want to chop the throttle...this'll send you into a nose dive, with the severity dependent upon the approach speed. You can usually get away with maintaining a given throttle position on the approach and off the jump, or giving the throttle a small blip on the take off.

Good Luck!

• Unibomber

Posted July 02, 2002 - 12:55 PM

When I got my 426 I remember reading another post about jumping this thumper, and it said something like "keep on the throttle all the way through the jump"

As a former 2smoker I was thinking, yeah right, so I began jumping with a squirt of throttle off the top of the jump like a 2smoke, with mixed results. Then a few weeks ago I kept a smooth throttle through the jump and Bingo, I felt like yelling "Can I get a witness brother". This method as suggested by some posts above is the key, I cant tell you the mathmatical breakdown of why this is the key, but it is the hot ticket for a smooth jump with good distiance and control

I know for me, i felt like I was puttin a gun to my head, staying on the throttle all the way up the jump, but now its a beatiful thing :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • acarter920

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:59 PM

I don't know if its already been mentioned because I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but my best advice would be to (like everyone stated earlier) roll on the throttle until you're in the air. Make sure to keep the revvs between mid-upper as you take off the jump, otherwise the compression braking will make it dive drastically. Also, lean at the same angle as the jump as you steadily increase your speed, and while on the jump. This will keep the nose from going waay up, and help with landings.

Hope that helped... and good luck! :)

• Jeff_Bailey

Posted July 02, 2002 - 05:57 PM

Hokie really hit it. I've also found that the bike flies nicely when you can carry your speed to the jump and before take off upshift, and keep the bike pulling steadily. I've even had great results on some larger tables and doubles by almost bogging it up the face with allot of momentum. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STALL IT THOUGH. If you are chugging it that bad, you're going too slow, or a gear too high. I was ripping off the faces of jumps pinned, but I found that the smoother aproach let me float easier and land so much nicer. Much more control. If you have a short take off they do seat bounce nicely, but you have to be on the gas pretty hard compared to a 2 stroke. Be careful start small, and don't do anything you're not fairly comfortable with yet.

Have fun.

• MXOldtimer

Posted July 02, 2002 - 06:48 PM

Hard part of jumping is gauging your speed for the distance, when your new to jumping your never quite sure of how much speed to carry. If you can find someone that is "VERY GOOD" at jumping and will let you follow/beside them. That way you can match they're speed. After awhile you'll get the feel for how much speed to carry for different kinds of jumps. This made my jumping improve 1000% in no time.

• jschner

Posted July 02, 2002 - 06:56 PM

These guys are correct. Start small and work your way up. :) OH! And don't forget your safety gear!

• tripod

Posted July 03, 2002 - 07:21 AM

The first "double" you should attempt is to double check your health insurance.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.