Stripped bolt and nut

6 replies to this topic
  • SteadyEddy

Posted June 16, 2004 - 02:31 AM

Hey all,

Just finishing up on regreasing my swingarm bearings, and was reinstalling the bolt that attaches the rear shock to the relay arm, Im pretty sure i read the manual right(5-58), it says to tighten to 53Nm, but mine just kept on going and then went soft.... bugger. Did I stuff it, did i read it wrong? Im pretty sure my torque wrench is of good quality.
Maybe this can happen :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:05 AM

4.448 Newtons per Lb force means you only tighten it to 12 ft lbs. You cant strip that bolt and nut with that little torque. :thumbsup:

• wrooster

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:36 AM

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteadyEddy

Posted June 16, 2004 - 11:53 AM

Is there any way to test a torque wrench?

• Hamish

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:01 PM

send to someone who does instrument calibration. The only bolts I ever torque on my bikes are the head bolts. After you've been working on bikes for a while you get a 'feel' for whats right.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 16, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Ditto I use the "feel" method for everything but the engine internals. :thumbsup:

• SteadyEddy

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:43 PM

yer sounds like the way to do it, I could feel it was real tight, should of stopped, but its all a learning curve
My new bolt and nut is arriving in time for the weekend.
$14(aus) :thumbsup:
bit expensive but what can ya do

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.