Oil change help needed

2 replies to this topic
  • tzracer46

Posted June 15, 2004 - 05:17 PM

O.K. guys so I got my used replacement engine for my basket case 450 today. Bolted it in, filled it with oil and coolant and fired it up. Everything looks good, but I want to flush the oil out and put in new fresh good stuff. Here's where I need help. I ordered a manual for the bike, but I haven't got it yet so I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to changing oil on this beast. First one with the correct procedeure gets to be my hero for a day!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JYD

Posted June 15, 2004 - 05:31 PM

1. get a big tub and put it onder the bike.
2. remove the skidplate.
3. locate the drainplug on the very bottom of the engine, its a 12m socket. remove it, dont lose the copper washer.
4. locate the 12mm bolt on the front of the downtube of the frame, the beefy part that is in front of the motor between the radiators. make sure the drain pan is under it, turn the handlebars all the way to one direction, remove the plug, oil will squirt out about 18 inches, so use a piece of cardboard or something so the oil doesnt spray all over your wheel and tire.
5. on the right side of the bik, just above and behind the water pump, locate the oil filter cover. it has two 8mm headed bolts holding it on, and a small allen head plug at the bottom of it. take off the two 8mm bolts, and pull out the old oil filter....and put in a new one.
6. right under the 2nd plug on the frame, there is a metal hose connected to a braided hose. there is a 24mm bolt that sticks into the frame, right under the drain plug. take the hose clamp off, then try to unscrew the 25mm bolt. if it frees up unscrew it and pull it out carefully, because there is a 3: metal screen attatched to it, spray it off with brake cleaner and inspect for debris.
7. reassemble, and top off with oil, capacity is about 1.75 quarts. the filler is on the top frame tube right in front of the fuel tank.

• RJB

Posted June 15, 2004 - 06:18 PM

better yet, just got to http://www.thumperfa.../oemmanuals.htm and download a manual for the 2003 450F. It has all the info you need...and more....for free :thumbsup:

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.