Best prices for Yamaha OEM parts?

24 replies to this topic
  • fofiveoh

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Hi guys,

My son's YZ85 had a little problem this weekend. A screw backed out from the billet clutch basket, and went through the crank gear and the primary gear on the basket. Not really sure why, it had red loctite on it. The only part that needs replacing is the primary driven gear, so I guess I got off lucky. The crank was knocked out of true, and the main tranny shaft bent a bit, but I was able to straighten it and true the crank. (being a machinist pays off sometimes). I replaced all the bearings and several gears and shafts a couple months ago when he blew up his tranny, so I'm not real happy about the situation.

Anyhow, I was wondering who has the best prices on OEM yamaha parts. I have used a few of the online places in the past, but they all list the same price on their microfiche parts list. Any ideas would be appreciated.

fofiveoh

• Fastest1

Posted June 15, 2004 - 03:22 PM

Does he race at all? If he has a card of any kind usually North County Yamaha will give a discount over their already decent pricing. Have you checked the TT store?

• Squirly246

Posted June 15, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I just rebiult my 426 and got most of my parts from generationmx.com. It cost nine dollars to subscribe to there sight, but the savings were well worth it. I just used one of the online parts sheets to get the part number them search it on there search form. If you give me a couple of part numbers, i can give you some specific prices to see if you want to join.

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted June 15, 2004 - 07:37 PM

If you give me a couple of part numbers, i can give you some specific prices to see if you want to join.

You don't have to be a member to research part numbers. I was playing w/ the site and was able to research price's without joining, But hands down, they were the best prices I found

• fofiveoh

Posted June 16, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I am looking into generationmx.com, but found the part in stock at North County Yamaha. With a little dickering, he matched Parker Yamaha's price (they didnt have it in stock though) of only $124. It lists for $187 at most of the online microfiche sites.

Maybe this basket will outlast the original one. If not, I'll get the gear off it and go back to my PE billet basket, but I'll have to come up with something better for the little rubber cushions in it.

fofiveoh

• Scott_321

Posted June 19, 2004 - 09:18 AM

My son's YZ85 had a little problem this weekend. A screw backed out from the billet clutch basket, and went through the crank gear and the primary gear on the basket. Not really sure why, it had red loctite on it.

To ensure a permanent hold you need to put Loctite into the hole and also onto the screw, and you need to clean the threads thoroughly with a contact cleaner, acetone, or other cleaning/degreasing solution. To make the bond even stronger you should use a Loctite primer. It is important that you use fresh Loctite since in has a shelf life. Hinson also recommends pinging the screws to ensure they wont come lose. :thumbsup:

• fofiveoh

Posted June 19, 2004 - 06:47 PM

I probably just didn't use enough. I normally do put it on the bolt and in the nut, but Iv'e never used the primer. Everything is always degreased first, but I may have gotten a little careless, I don't know. I do know that every time I open the clutch up to change the crappy rubber cushions, it is a battle getting them off, you have to use a lot of heat or the screws will break off.

I think the problem might have been in the nuts themselves. They are machined to a specific length, and the screw bottoms out in the nut before it secures the gear to the basket. This is by design, so the rubber cushions have a chance to do their job. They vary in length though a few thousandths, and some screws und up holding more load than others. If I remember correctly, I had one that was a tad too short, and didn't bottom out properly with the screw.

fofiveoh

• archangelcycle__

Posted June 20, 2004 - 12:30 AM

best prices ive found on o.e.m parts is at bikebandit.com

• BBrown626

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Sorry guys. Thumpertalk's oem parts are cheaper than the sights mentioned here when I compared prices on a piston for a yz450f.

• 642MX

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Sorry guys. Thumpertalk's oem parts are cheaper than the sights mentioned here when I compared prices on a piston for a yz450f.

This thread is over 3 years old......:thumbsup:

BTW: The cheapest parts can be found at http://www.crotchrocket.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrecking crew

Posted September 25, 2007 - 06:11 AM

i agree with fastest1, North County Yamaha has the best deals, there prices are lower than the prices on their parts fisch. They will even match or beat any other price that you tell them, call and deal with Kenny, he is real helpful.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 01, 2009 - 03:02 AM

Alright, I feel like bumping this thread with some updated research. Hopefully someone can use this info and I'm using the YZ450F (2006) as an example:

OEM Piston 2006
www.crotchrocket.com $124.13
www.cheapcycleparts.com $96.08
www.bikebandit.com $131.3
TT OEM $119.70
www.generationmx.com $115.47 +membership to their site
www.yamahapart.com $112.59

OEM Cylinder 2006
www.crotchrocket.com $261.39
www.cheapcycleparts.com $209.15
www.bikebandit.com $270.51
TT OEM $256.68
www.generationmx.com $243.15 +membership
www.yamahapart.com $237.07

This is just a quick example of some OEM prices and obviously shipping can make a difference on some purchases.

• mike_dean

Posted January 01, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the comparison, I've been using TT mainly because the parts are almost always in stock and come out of IL and I get them in 2 days. Very interesting though, I've never heard of Cheap Cycle Parts, thanks again. Mike

• platnum rider

Posted January 01, 2009 - 12:49 PM

another site you might want to check out is cyclepartswarehouse.com

just to compare to the post above

OEM piston (2006 yz450f): $87.12
OEM cylinder (2006 yz450f): $205.49

i hope this helps i have never ordered from them but i have heard good things about them. good luck and happy new year!

• alleycatdad

Posted January 01, 2009 - 01:09 PM

another site you might want to check out is cyclepartswarehouse.com

just to compare to the post above

OEM piston (2006 yz450f): $87.12
OEM cylinder (2006 yz450f): $205.49

i hope this helps i have never ordered from them but i have heard good things about them. good luck and happy new year!

I've used them:prices are great, delivery slower than tt. Overall, if I have time, I like em.

Steve

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:29 PM

Might want to take the time to investigate further:

ThumperTalk Re-launches OEM Parts Store – Over 8 Million Parts!

* Dirt, Street, Scooters, ATV, UTV, PWC and Boats w/ applications as far back as 1959 through 09
* Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, Can-Am, Polaris and Sea-Doo
* Aftermarket and OEM orders can now be combined
* Free shipping on orders of $149 or more

* 110% low price guarantee

All of this and more backed by ThumperTalk’s proven reputation of solid and responsive customer service.

• bil2303

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:33 PM

cheapcycleparts.com kills you on postage.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 01, 2009 - 06:52 PM

Sorry Gray, the Price match guarantee does not apply to OEM orders:

Quantity Limits:
Our low price guarantee is valid for up to three (3) price matches in any given 30-day period.
Our low price guarantee is limited to a maximum of $100.00 per price match request.
Our low price guarantee is limited to a minimum of $1.00 per price match request.
Our low price guarantee is limited to up to three (3) of the same product, shipped to the same address.
Exclusions: We price match almost everything. We don't price match OEM Parts or bikes, tires, clearance items, labor items, items sold at wholesale/membership clubs or products sold on Internet auction sites. We also don't price match taxes or typographical errors.

The idea of combining OEM and aftermarket orders is long overdue. I think for little purchases, it will come down to shipping costs. For large engine rebuilds and otherwise spendy purchases, TT OEM may not make the most sense.

Chad

• Smokeslider

Posted January 01, 2009 - 06:55 PM

cheapcycleparts.com kills you on postage.

I've ordered from them in the past and, although not free, their shipping seemed to be on par with what other OEM sites are charging.

My last order from them took a shorter amount of time then most of my TT orders..... I'm not bashing TT, Just defending CCP a little with my experience.
Chad

• 642MX

Posted January 01, 2009 - 07:01 PM

So is TT still getting OEM stuff from Generation MX?..... (I hope not, I had horrible luck dealing with them).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.