camshafts look normal

13 replies to this topic
  • eductor

Posted June 15, 2004 - 01:44 PM

my yamaha-dealer says these camshafts look normal,

I now ask every one in this forum, does your camshafts look anything like this???
please advice
Posted Image

• BIGMatt

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Kinda hard to tell what to look at, but they look sorta normal. Kinda worn out on the nose though. Worn through the surface hardening. How many hrs/miles are on the engine? At least they're not galling.

• simon@vic

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:16 PM

run your finger nail accross the "bad" area. if it is still smooth then it is prob ok. does the motor make strange noises?

• eductor

Posted June 15, 2004 - 08:31 PM

The motor does not make any strange noises,
The bike has only been running for 15 hours
Does your cam have the dull areas on top of the lobes like mine?

• scheffaa

Posted June 15, 2004 - 09:13 PM

they look fine, and if the dealer says there fine then i suppose they are, he will be liable if something bad goes wrong i think.

• Hamish

Posted June 15, 2004 - 09:48 PM

to start with, I wouldnt trust a dealer to change my oil.
They look like they have been wearing unevenly. I'd remove the shims and the buckets and measure them with a micrometer. I'd say someone has done a bodgy job and ground the shims, and they are not completly even causing wear on one side of the lobe. Having said that, shims normally rotate causing an even wear pattern. Also, it looks like the valves have been floting over the nose of the lobe and hammering the cam when they return. Time to check your valve springs if thats the case.It's hard to say without seeing the cams, but from what I can see from the pics if they were mine they'd be in the bin. Good excuse to get a set of HotCams :thumbsup:

my 2 cents

• simon@vic

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:51 AM

dude, is someone took his shims to grinder i bet he would have massive problems. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted June 16, 2004 - 06:24 AM

to start with, I wouldnt trust a dealer to change my oil.
They look like they have been wearing unevenly. I'd remove the shims and the buckets and measure them with a micrometer. I'd say someone has done a bodgy job and ground the shims, and they are not completly even causing wear on one side of the lobe. Having said that, shims normally rotate causing an even wear pattern. Also, it looks like the valves have been floting over the nose of the lobe and hammering the cam when they return. Time to check your valve springs if thats the case.It's hard to say without seeing the cams, but from what I can see from the pics if they were mine they'd be in the bin. Good excuse to get a set of HotCams :thumbsup:

my 2 cents

I agree. My cams wear very evenly and it does not look like yours are doing that. My wear is also on the entire surface and all the way around the cam lobes in an even pattern. I would have to say something does not look right with your wear pattern. :awww:

• Hamish

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:14 PM

dude, is someone took his shims to grinder i bet he would have massive problems

heaps of people do it. Some on this very forum swear its fine to grind the shims, but thats bull s%$t if u ask me.

• gomopar440

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:09 PM

It can be done in a machine shop that has a surface grinding machine. Most of them are accurate to within .0005" and are capable of perfectly parallel, mirror like surface finishes. I used them when I was in MS and also back in TX. I wouldn't think twice about doing it myself. For the shadetree mechanic who just has a little Black & Decker bench grinder...NO WAY :thumbsup:.

• Hamish

Posted June 16, 2004 - 04:40 PM

just like gomopar said, if it's done properly and they come up fine with the micrometer it's probably ok. The only issue left is the way the shim has been hardened. If the shim is case hardened it's probable you will remove the hardening during the grinding process. If the entire shim is hard, it wont be an issue. As I have no ideo how Yamaha harden their shims, I cant comment on this one. I look at it this way... there are only 5 shims, and normally you can chop and change at least 2 of them, so you normally only need a few new ones. They are cheap enough to just go and buy the propper items if you ask me

my 2 cents

• Lowedog

Posted June 16, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Is this a 450? Did you buy it new? I would have to say it's not normal. I have 2800 miles on my 450 and just had to make the first valve adjustment on one intake valve. My cam lobes show no wear at all.

Good luck,
Lowedog

• eductor

Posted June 17, 2004 - 08:59 AM

I am sorry
I have fooled you all it is a wr250 -03.
I just wanted to know if the 450 has the same problem that
the 250:s seem to have with their camshafts.

And I have NOT grinded my shims. The bike has only run for aprox 10 hours since new.

thanks for all posts, please tell me if anyone have this type of wear on a 450,
I want to know because I am thinking of bying a 450 instead.

• griffony

Posted June 23, 2004 - 09:14 AM

my wr450-03 don´t show any wear.
it has been ridden hard for plenty of hours.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.