clutch????

12 replies to this topic
  • jws

Posted June 15, 2004 - 11:20 AM

this might sound stupid but........... i cooked my pig pretty good the other day (over heated 3 times, smoked the clutch a bunch of times, and sucked water in thru the airbox and had to ring out the filter to get it going again) - yesterday i went to pick up my kid from school on the brp and noticed that the clutch was slipping pretty good anytime i got on it - when i got home i drained the oil and it was almost black - it had less than 300 miles on it - i know i hammered the crap out of the bike last time out but do you think that fresh oil might help the clutch slippage? or am i done for a while :awww:

jeff :thumbsup:

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 15, 2004 - 11:23 AM

damn Jeff, where were you riding? Last year at the end of the LA B to V my pigs clutch was slipping riding down the strip in Vegas, it had two 12 days in a row of riding and the bike was tired. I thought maybe my clutch was cooked. I changed the oil and she was good as new. Haven't had a problem since. Hopefully, your results will be the same.

Chris

• qadsan

Posted June 15, 2004 - 11:24 AM

Fresh oil is cheap and certainly worth a try :thumbsup:

• jws

Posted June 15, 2004 - 12:00 PM

damn Jeff, where were you riding? Last year at the end of the LA B to V my pigs clutch was slipping riding down the strip in Vegas, it had two 12 days in a row of riding and the bike was tired. I thought maybe my clutch was cooked. I changed the oil and she was good as new. Haven't had a problem since. Hopefully, your results will be the same.

Chris

cool :thumbsup: i hope that the new oil will will fix it - we rode 80 miles up in gorman and all my overheating happened early in the day (piru creek)- so i know a ran at least 50 after the creek ride and had no problems (that i could feel)i have all the fluids drained now and still trying to decide what to run for coolant :lol:

i cleaned the poop out of my bike (SIMPLE GREEN)now iam going to grease the swingarm, steering stem, chain adjusters and axles - check the valves and hope the oil fixes the slippage - so i can ride this weekend :awww:

jeff :lol:

• qadsan

Posted June 15, 2004 - 12:46 PM

trying to decide what to run for coolant

The Honda HP Cool is a very good product. Toyota's red coolant is also another very good choice. There are many good products to choose from that will serve you well. If you go with a water based coolant, make sure its either pre-charged or use distilled water to mix with it. Do not use water from your garden hose and do not use a coolant with silicates.

• TimBrp

Posted June 16, 2004 - 01:30 AM

I cooked my stock clutch within 800 miles. I even had a cracked fiber. My clutch basket was stained brown from the heated oil. Get HD springs and an HD clutch kit. Problem solved for me so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jws

Posted June 17, 2004 - 02:18 PM

Fresh oil is cheap and certainly worth a try :lol:

well it didnt seem to help :lol: iam out for a month or so till i start working again :lol: and can make some money :thumbsup:

thanks guys,
jeff :awww:

• qadsan

Posted June 17, 2004 - 02:30 PM

So sorry the clutch pack is gone :thumbsup:

After you replace your driveplates & frictions discs (assuming everyting else is OK), make sure to clean the oil downtube screen as it will likely collect various debris during the first couple hours of riding with a new clutch. It would probably be wise to check it again the second oil change after the clutch pack is replaced, but it should be clean by then based on my experiences.

• JetPilot

Posted June 17, 2004 - 02:43 PM

Does my 1993 :confused:XR600R also have an downtube oil screen ? How do I find it ?

• qadsan

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:04 PM

No, I don't believe there's a downtube screen for the 93XR600. I do however have a killer web site link for XR600 info if you have't seen it yet. It's great reading for any bike owner when it comes to tech info :thumbsup:

http://jaw.iinet.net...rdselector.html

• jws

Posted June 17, 2004 - 03:42 PM

Fresh oil is cheap and certainly worth a try :thumbsup:

well it didnt seem to help :lol: iam out for a month or so till i start working again :lol: and can make some
money :awww:

OK - here is the story the clutch is fine - i put new handguards on monday and rerouted the cable - there was a kink in the cable when i turn the bars to the left - loosend up the cable now every thing is fine :lol:

should of check when i installed the hanguards but i didnt - i just put them on and ran up to get my kide from school then came home and drained the oil and coolant just got to putting it back together today and went for a quick putt and still had slippage but after checking everything with the bike on the rack - i found the tight cable when i turned the bars - so now iam happy :mad: :usa: :lol:

thanks for all the help :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeff ;)

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 17, 2004 - 06:14 PM

nice save, could have been an expensive mistake.

• heliosstudios

Posted June 18, 2004 - 07:38 AM

What, an XR die for no reason? HA!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.