Has anyong polished their cluch cover?

20 replies to this topic
  • DoctorRzed

Posted July 01, 2002 - 01:45 PM

Has anyong polished their cluch cover?

• acarter920

Posted July 01, 2002 - 01:49 PM

I'm probably mistaken, but I'll guess anyway... I think the clutch cover is magnesium. Am I right?

And I don't think magnesium can be polished. Am I right?

Im probably wrong, but that's my guess.

• DoctorRzed

Posted July 01, 2002 - 01:53 PM

Good job, it is magnessim, but it can be shined up nice. The spot(most of the cluch cover)is worn off from my boot, I polished w/chrome polished came out very nice. In fact you can send them out to White brothers to get then polished!!!

• DoctorRzed

Posted July 01, 2002 - 01:58 PM

Acarter is that short for aron carter the child singer and MX racer?? Hey why dont you join the fan club at www.aroncarter is gay.commm!!!!

• acarter920

Posted July 01, 2002 - 02:55 PM

nope... I can't stand that little punk. My name is A. Carter... and my B-day is 9/20. I figure that should be easy enough to remember :)

• SkinSF

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:29 PM

I polished the cover and then I painted black enamel in the YAMAHA. Looks realy nice. A lot better than boot ware on the edge of the cover.

• YZeezee

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:38 AM

Ha ha, at first I thought this was titled "Has anyone polished their clutch lever?" I was thinking someone has too much time on their hands... So do you remove what little bit of paint isn't rubbed off by your boots on the cover, then polish? That's a good idea. Mornings on here are always pretty informative...

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: YZeezee ]

• armourbl

Posted July 02, 2002 - 06:30 AM

I've always been told that magnesium breaks down when exposed to the atmosphere. That is why sportbike parts are painted or anodized.

Are you sure it is magnesium?

ben

• DoctorRzed

Posted July 02, 2002 - 06:35 AM

I thinking of anodizing it with this high temp anodizing paint I saw on TNN.

• CAL

Posted July 02, 2002 - 09:38 PM

Originally posted by YZeezee:
Ha ha, at first I thought this was titled "Has anyone polished their clutch lever?" I was thinking someone has too much time on their hands...

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: YZeezee ]

Hey, I've polished my levers before! I like shiny things. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAL

Posted July 02, 2002 - 09:40 PM

Originally posted by armourbl:
ben

Yes, it's magnesium. Mag. breaks down or oxidizes much like aluminum when it is exposed to air.

• YZeezee

Posted July 02, 2002 - 09:41 PM

I think I used to have a clutch lever...those things break awfully easily.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 02, 2002 - 10:19 PM

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: mxrider426 ]

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted July 02, 2002 - 10:21 PM

Originally posted by pavelkod:
I thinking of anodizing it with this high temp anodizing paint I saw on TNN.

Anodizing paint? What the heck? :)

• holeshot

Posted July 03, 2002 - 04:38 AM

Originally posted by armourbl:

ben

If you look at the clutch side cover, you can see the word "magnesium" cast into the cover, right above the word "YAMAHA".

The clutch cover has a protective coating (paint?) that I couldn't remove using any paint remover that I had, so I sanded it off in the round, flat area.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 03, 2002 - 04:46 AM

The cover is magnesium, as an alloy it can be polished to a high sheen, just as alluminum can.

However polishing mag is a bit differant and somewhat dangerous. Mag in powder form mixed with moister / water or ? will flash / ignite.

Polishing mag high pressure or what ever ya want to do with it should be done by a company that has the equipemnt to control the dust, heat and mositer of the polishing.

Anodised Mag is not a issue.

• YZeezee

Posted July 03, 2002 - 04:50 AM

EGO, what exactly is "mositer"? Is that something that only computer guys/chemists are familiar with? :)
Seriously though, are you saying that just trying to sand and polish your clutch cover is that dangerous? Guess I never thought about that one...

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 03, 2002 - 07:22 AM

Mositer is a term used only by ego when he dosnt spel chk.

It refers to a density of water between his brain and keyboard

• Wyatt

Posted July 03, 2002 - 09:34 PM

I stripped the paint from mine and wet sanded it with 1500 grit sandpaper and polished it to a mirror finish. I didn't blow up.........but, the raw magnesium will tarnish when exposed to water or high humidity. I have to hit it with steel wool after every time I wash the bike in order to keep it shinning. To me it is, but to some it may not be worth the hassle. My oi filter cover, and water pump cover are also polished, but the aluminum does not tarnish like the magnesium.
just my $.02

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 03, 2002 - 09:38 PM

Ok Lets Try Again if anyone missed it the first time

Polishing mag high pressure or what ever ya want to do with it, should be done by a company that has the equipemnt to control the dust, heat and moister of the polishing

It then gets polished and sealed........

I also stated that Mag in raw form "dust" will explode if mixed with water. Polishing the Mag under high pressure and buffing may cause a flash !
DId not say Blow up.....

Sorry if I was not clear...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.