do I need to rejet to desmog '03 XRL 650

2 replies to this topic
  • milesodirt

Posted June 15, 2004 - 03:43 AM

I just got my 650 L with 2700 miles and I love it, the only mods are a white bros e series and I turned around the buddy pegs to fit my wife better. Do I need to rejet for the pipe? Also interested in releasing the strangle hold smog system, any rejetting issues there, reliability issues?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 15, 2004 - 04:34 AM

The L comes in need of a rejet, so any mods means a rejet is a MUST!!!!

After a foam or K&N air filter and removing the airbox snorkel most run 55/158 jets. With the pipe you may need to go a little richer than that.
Also, drill the slide, shim the needle, and don't get the Baja Designs/K&N/Dyno-Jet jetting kit. Stick with the keihin jets.
Also, grind the float-bowl tab so you van adjust the pilot fuel screw.
-Dave

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 15, 2004 - 10:59 AM

Do I need to rejet for the pipe? Also interested in releasing the strangle hold smog system, any rejetting issues there, reliability issues?

Definitely. Any intake and/or exhaust mods require rejetting on the overly lean XRL, or BFP (Big Fat Pig). The jetting may be a bit larger or much more so depending on the elevation you're riding. I'm at sea level and the jetting I'm currently using runs well up to about 4,000'. That being a 55 pilot and a 155 main.

It's basically a one-for-one type deal. Rejet the main and pilot jets for the pipe and then again for the (highly recommended) foam air filter install. Also drilling the slide and shimming the needle (search the archives) will really wake up the corked motor. The smog removal does not require and carb mods. The bike will run smoother, have much better throttle response, and run cooler with the richer jetting and modified settings. :awww:

There isn't any magic formula. Just some trial and error, especially when it comes to adjusting the pilot screw. Generally speaking this screw should never be more than three turns out from fully seated. If it is, a larger pilot (needle) jet is in order for better idle & 0-1/8 throttle performance. :thumbsup:

Take your time and have fun with it. And don't worry if you don't get it right the first time. I didn't and rarely anybody else does either.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.