MXA's report on the new 450

26 replies to this topic
  • Bambislayer

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:26 AM

After reading the report on the new 450 in MXA, I wanted to get opinions on a few things. I think there are plenty of change which seem to be good, but also some which do not seem so good. Opinions please.

The 4 speed thing seems to be a non issue really as it has been reported that with a 50 tooth rear sprocket(a popular upgrade for us)on the 426, the top speed of the 450 and 426 are identical.

The titanium headpipe is cool, but after taking into account the stock bend of it being a mirror image of the 426, I can only wonder how long it will last compared to the steel unit currently available. The silencer is huge and will probably be replaced by most consumers so I do not think it is bad or good.

Good Changes-

-Less weight
-It is a 450
-The coil is now on the spark plug cap.
-The swingarms are no longer painted, but instead have been anodized.
-Handlebar hot start

Bad Changes-

-Less oil
-Less fuel
-The webbing on the underside of the piston has been removed. I assume for weight reasons, but strength has got to be affected too right?
-Crankshaft width has been reduced. See weight/durability tradeoff above.
-The large oil pump of the 426 has been replaced with one off of a 250. I do not know if it pumps the same volume over time or if it is as strong, but downsizing an oil pump on a 4 stroke seems risky to me.
-Smaller rear caliper and integrated master cylinder...look at an 02 CR or CRF for the reason why this is bad
-Last but not more wire mesh oil filters. They now will be paper and I assume throw away items. I wonder how many Scotts will sell now?

Of course other things have changed but these seem to be the items which will delineate the 426 from the 450. Aside from the weight and auto decompression, I will keep my 426. I know that is a stupid statement because the weight loss could have only happend with all of the things listed above, but it seems that these bikes are becoming machines with a delicate balance between weight and durability and I hope that Yamaha knows what they are doing.

Opinions please.

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:49 AM

Good points pro and con, I think "personally" I will hold judgment until I see some real world Ride reports. Its hard to speculate and I think thats what MXA is doing based upon white paper information supplied by Yamaha.

All In all I think that too, 4 speeds is a non issue also

The internal engine changes along with changes in calips and so forth, I think you nailed it by stating Yamaha must know what it is doing.

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:09 AM

Hey! It's Brig. Gen. Beauregard!!..and his first in command EGOA$$HOLE...

That's a great idea you backwoods backward-a$$ed hillbilly bastid...crawl out from under your rock and go get your high school diploma..bang your sister a few more times and have another retard and keep your 426...Why don't you ride that fu@kin' bike already and stop thinking about the jerkoffs obviously CAN"T handle a 426..WHY would you even consider the purchase of the 450? I saw the "EGOBAIL" video and in my opinion EGOA@@WIPE shouldn't even be on a 426..or any bike for that matter! I swear to Christ, I'd love to catch you douchebags at the track and see what the &%$#@! is up with you two loudmouths!! I'd roost both of your lame a@@es right back to the Civil War man!!

• dmxracing

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:31 AM

I think someone should roost your lame a@@ right of this forum!!!

It's people like you who ruin forums like these. I come to TT for honest opinions regarding products and maintenance on my bike. I have learned so much from this site and I would hate to see it ruined because of a few people like you...

• Mark_UK

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:33 AM

see thats what happens if you stay in all day masterbating to pictures of Adolf hitler you end up just like 426SledgeHammer
Posted Image

best ignore him,,,,people like this are so utterly insignificate,, the only way they can get any attention ,,is to spout utter rancid piffle,,whilst hiding behind a computer monitor.
gutless and limp!

just ignore the brainless monkey and watch it wither away. :)

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Mark_UK ]

• DethWshBkr

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:36 AM

I'd say that was a bit uncalled for, wow.

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:43 AM

As for you EGO....

Who gives a rat's a$$ what you change your name CAN'T ride and your opinions & experiences are totally useless...I urge anyone reading this to check his site out and take a look at the EGOBAIL video..this video is worth a million words man..more then I can type here! Anyone who views this would think again to consider his advice or opinions as valid...Like I've been tellin' ya jerkoff...You need MUCH more experience on your BIKE...Give your computer a much deserved break already!! Later fu@kface.........

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:48 AM

I'm Italian jerkoff..not German..

I had Benito Mousilini more in mind...

• kfrosty

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:55 AM

I've been a way for a couple weeks but several of the threads I've checked out have flames and child like nonsense. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. bambi had a legit post. How does it get turned into a flame to ego? I personally have never cared for most of his posts either but I just skip over everything he posts and move on. If you want to flame each other, please do it through PM's or something else for those of us who use this forum as a place to exchange useful info. All of you who engage in this are no better than the person you are flaming. Please take your sarcastic remarks and putdowns to another forum.

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 10:58 AM

Uncalled for huh?

Go read some of the posts from these two!

Two Major League Jerkoffs...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:01 AM

Hey Mark_UK....

Go brush your teeth man :) or you'll end up like your hero Austin Powers...

• Mark_UK

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:20 AM

just out of interest i did a quick search on your previous 11 posts

without exception they have all been insulting flames.

do you have anything at all of worth to offer thumpertalk?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:27 AM

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:32 AM

why don't you go git' on yur CB radio and chat with some illiterits that may understand your frustrations.
Or better yet ......why are you on the cpu?
I figured you would be out riding for the 4th time this wk?

If you would like to swear (like a trucker) go do it HERE ....FILTHEY TRUCKER MOUTH .COM
If you can't keep your FILTHY trap shut then <center><font color=red><h2>BEAT IT!!!</h2></center>
<font color=blue><h3><center>WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND ON THIS SITE</center></H3></FONT>
I cant say for sure but I believe this would be the majority on here. We have a good group of guys and gals (hey bikedestroyer!) on here and don't need and igNUT on here making it so I cant even let my boy on here til' I monitor the stuff first!

Sorry New Jersey for having such a poor represenative! Although I am sure he is a poor example of the HUMAN race from NJ!

see ya on! :D :) :D

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:42 AM

Believe it or not I have something to offer to you:

My lovely wife Grace is a Dental Hygienist and a professional photographer..Really!

I could send you a case of Crest toothpaste and we could take before & after photos... :)

• Mark_UK

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:45 AM

at what point does a moderator ban someone?

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:48 AM

At what point do you include "FLORIDE" in your diet???

• Guest__*

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:54 AM

Hey Thumpin' EGO Humper :)

Never understood that "guy likin' a hairy ass" thing myself..Maybe you and EGO's &%$#@! could explain!!

You exposed your kid to this site???? GOD help us..Another future LAMO who spends WAY to much time typing and NOT enough time riding...

• armourbl

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:56 AM

Never really seemed appropriate until now, but I think a vote is due on Sledge and his continued participation in this forum.

I vote get rid of him already. All who know my history know that I don't usually get involved in these types of threads. That should be some indicator of how disappointing his presence is to members like myself.

ben :)

• Mark_UK

Posted July 01, 2002 - 11:59 AM

yeah id be happy to see him gone
although i think he views us as his only 'friends'

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.