shifting w/out clutch?

14 replies to this topic
  • YZeezee

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:42 AM

This was posted in the 250 forum, but I wanted to get your opinions on it as well. What harm if any is done by occasional shifting without using the clutch? Primarily downshifting. If it doesn't grind or anything like that, is it a big deal? Thanks.

• 98yz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:48 AM

I downshift regularly without using the clutch, and have done it for years with my 2 strokes as well as my 426. No problems, I just make sure I am off the gas when I do so.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:52 AM

Who Shifts I start in 5th :)

Only time I use the clutch is to start and when I am putzin around, other then that the bike is well suited to handle no clutch shifts

• YZeezee

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:57 AM

These things have 5 gears???

• Hick

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:06 AM

I heard Ferry's bike is a one speed.

• YZeezee

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:13 AM

Maybe it's an automatic. Those factory riders get all the tricks!

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 02, 2002 - 12:45 AM

I heard Ferry's bike is a three speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kfrosty

Posted July 02, 2002 - 09:01 PM

YZ, I'm no expert on the matter but from what I've read and watched I believed it's recommended to not use the clutch downshifting so you use the bikes transmission and compression to slow down and control the bike. It was recommended to bump the clutch while upshifting. Think I got that from a Semics video.

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 02, 2002 - 04:08 PM

it is perfectly fine to shift without hte cluth s long as youa re off the gas. the biek is made to do so to take advantage of compression braking. BTW, ferry's bike is a 3 speed, with 4th and 5th gearsets made of plastic, they are blocked off by a special shift drum.
-alex

• westladog

Posted July 02, 2002 - 04:18 PM

Originally posted by kfrosty:
YZ, I'm no expert on the matter but from what I've read and watched I believed it's recommended to not use the clutch downshifting so you use the bikes transmission and compression to slow down and control the bike. It was recommended to bump the clutch while upshifting. Think I got that from a Semics video.

"bump the clutch" for up shift? What does that mean?

• Fireballsocal

Posted July 03, 2002 - 03:50 PM

I also agree that it won't hurt anything to upshift or down shift without the clutch. If your really smooth and blip the throttle as you shift, there is no feeling of shifting gears except of the motor changing RPM. Just a smooth acceleration or de-acceleration.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted July 05, 2002 - 05:48 AM

I never use the clutch to shift unless I am going down to first gear, or taking off of course. This is my first dirt bike, but I have been doing it for years on the street.

• thumper4life

Posted July 05, 2002 - 08:59 AM

rudy on the 250f side clued us in to something i never knew before....the bike will shift when its ready to by you always keeping a steady up pressure on the shift lever, just keep the throttle pinned and have a little bit of steady pressure pushing up on the shift lever, it will shift by itself without you having to take off the the gas. when i read that i was like NO WAY! so i went out and tried it, it works, its pretty cool

i would only recommend this for MX starts off the gate though because it seems like it could easily bend the fork.

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted July 05, 2002 - 09:22 PM

clutch? mmmmm

i dont even have the lever.... :)

• yamaha.dude

Posted July 05, 2002 - 12:02 PM

The only time I use the clutch on a downshift is when I am on tar or cement... then I can use the brakes harder, and I feel that using the clutch to ease the shift also stops the knobs ripping off the back tyre so easily... But then, when I am in my car I blip the throttle on downshifts to match up the revs... that is the kind of driver I am...

When riding on dirt, no clutch... up or down...

Just MHO, YMMV, HTH,

David

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.