wheel bearing question

6 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 01, 2002 - 01:02 AM

Since I still have a broken tank :) I had some time to work on the bike this weekend. I removed the frong wheel bearings to regrease them and I could not find a way to get them out without tapping on the inner race. Does anyone know how to get them out without hitting the inner race?

PS-> I Used one of those $3 bearing greasers from the parts store (two cones with a zerk in the middle) and wow that thing works great! I very highly recommend them!

• acarter920

Posted July 01, 2002 - 05:14 AM

bearing puller? that may work if you are careful... but may destroy the bearings.

All it is is a handle with a kind of mishaped triangle on the end. You put one end under the bearing, and the other end acts as leverage on the other side of the bearing. Worked like a charm when I took my rear bearings out.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:01 PM

Sirthump, you might just want to change them out. I re-greased mine and I got about another 4 rides out of them, then noticed I had a good 3/8" of wobble in the front wheel. I swapped them. If you have a bearing house nearby, you'll be able to save yourself a ton of money on the bearings. Its a standard bearing, and the number is on the stocker. I think I paid 12 bucks each from rocky, then found them for $3.50 at a bearing house by accident. There should be a 4 digit number on the bearing. Check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:03 PM

Ditto With Shawn, no reason to by OEM you can get case harden for 1/3 the price at a bearing house saving big bucks

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 03, 2002 - 02:10 AM

Thanks guys, I'll keep and eye on it to be sure they don't get loose. They had some (very little) grease on them when I removed them but I had some spare time and figured I may as well grease them now and forget about it for a while, I just hope I didn't hurt them while removing them.

• Guest_coyoteyz13_*

Posted July 05, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Do buy the bearing with new carriers?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 08, 2002 - 01:51 PM

Coyote the wheel bearings are sealed replacable units. You remove the whole thing and throw it at the nearest greenpeace supporter. Dont worry about the dumbass moving, he'll be hugging a tree and will never know whats happening. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.