leaking gas tank!

8 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:23 AM

rode this weekend and thought i smelled gas but couldn't see any leakage.well after i got home still had a strong odor,so i took off the seat and the dang thing was leaking at the brass grommet w/screw that the rubber strap connects to! is there any fixing this or is it time to look for a different tank?(already tried playing around w/the screw and still leaked) seems kinda dumb the way they made it,could've just made a nipple that was part of the tank.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 14, 2004 - 11:51 AM

I dont know about repairing it but a epoxy type adhesive should be reisitant to fuel. If you cant repair it PM me and I will send you my stock tank for a good deal. :thumbsup:

• GrahamO

Posted June 14, 2004 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, give tank repair a try. Here's my tank repair in action:

Posted Image

Don't mess around. Just buy a new tank.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 14, 2004 - 02:06 PM

holy crap!!! what kinda bike is the burning? GEESE! believe it or not I'd try some JB weld quick bond. I used it on my old 1984 TT600 gas tank and it worked great!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GrahamO

Posted June 14, 2004 - 02:17 PM

That's a WR426 repaired with JB Weld. I spoke with the tank manufacturer and he said it is not possible to repair the tanks.

• jwriott

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:37 PM

I remember everyone talking about this after your bike spontaneously combusted. For the price of these bikes, I'd never put a repaired tank on one. It's just not worth it.

I don't know how old your bike is but I'd contact Yamaha USA or just buy a new, aftermarket tank.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:41 PM

Wow! JB worked just fine for me.

That's a WR426 repaired with JB Weld. I spoke with the tank manufacturer and he said it is not possible to repair the tanks.

• yamahawr

Posted June 14, 2004 - 04:05 PM

I bought a wr a few months ago a the fella convienently failed to inform me it was riden off a mountain.(resulting in 11 differnt cracks in the tank. I used a plastic welding kit to heat the plastic and smear it around. it seems to have worked fine but after seeing daves bike flameing I may consider replacing it.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 15, 2004 - 04:51 AM

yah,i've decided just to get a new ims 2.8 gal. it retains stock seat and just needs yz shrouds(anyone have any cheap?) i really hate spending money on something that was just plain faulty,but watchagonnado!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.