Hot Cams W/Decompressor for the YZ426.... :)

8 replies to this topic

Posted June 14, 2004 - 08:04 AM

The first real test of the new Hot Cams with the Decompressor Exhaust Cam was conducted in a 4 hour terrain torture test this past weekend. All I can say is WOW!!!
My 426 now holds the revs longer and harder in the steep terrain and the power delivery is all the way thru the power band ....Not Just in the Middle..... I stalled it a couple of times (once on purpose) in some pretty knarley stuff, just to reach down and light it off again with one stroke of the kicker. PURRRRFect.... Bump starting is effortless and works everytime.

I have cancelled the next scheduled upgrade at this point (The Power Now Device) as I already have the power I need.

Now onto the Automatic Clutch upgrade.....

Thanks Hot Cams.....You just saved me from spending another 6K on a 450F for awhile longer.... The fun has returned.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• MotoChris521

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hey where did you get your cam,directly from HOT Cams or ?.Also how much did it set u back?I'm seriously considering that cam beacuse it's made for the 426 and not the 450(chain pitch?).The stock cam has plenty of power for my old bones,but starting the thing w/o a milk crate and be a beeootch!!

• HotCams

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Hot Cams.....You just saved me from spending another 6K on a 450F for awhile longer.... The fun has returned.

You are very welcome. :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:34 AM

Yamakaze, good to hear you like your new cam! I am sure that Hot Cams makes a nice product with a better gring than the 450 cam.
Motocris, Your concerns are unfounded regarding the chains pitch. The width of the chain changed nothing else. There have been no failures to this point and if there was one, TT would be the first to let it out. Now you do have an option but to have waited after it was tested and proven and even endorsed by some online yamaha parts distributors is foolish!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4two6stroker

Posted June 14, 2004 - 11:29 AM

I must agree with you the cams in tandum work great. Although the directions suck service from Tony is great. One tooth on the exh side off and you'll be scratching your head. Once it's right on it's worth every $. I recomened having someone who knows whats up around if its your 1st time in the motor. It's not real tricky but it does help. Get a small pencil magnet around those frigin half circle retainers do fall alot. :thumbsup:

Posted June 15, 2004 - 03:47 AM

I really could not tell you what the cost was because my sponsor picked up the tab. I requested the cams not because the bike was lacking power, but because the cams make the power more managable and definately spread it out over the entire band much more evenly. Cornering is much smoother and I've actually shaved my lap times a good bit.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• PowerFiend

Posted June 18, 2004 - 01:44 PM

I had better get off my :awww: and get mine installed now that I have the correct shims. Restarting with the manual decompression during a race is a pain in the :devil:

I got a pretty good deal on mine from :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 18, 2004 - 03:20 PM

Did you change only the exhaust cam or did you change both cams? Sounds like they're a different grind from stock so I'm curious to hear if they work well as a one-cam drop in, or if you need both to get good results.

• 4two6stroker

Posted June 21, 2004 - 09:03 AM

I bought direct from HotCams and the price is just over 300 after shipping. I haven't tried the stock cam w/the auto-decompression cam. I wanted to "unleash the power" of the new intake. I would say the power curve is changed from stock but I was supprised. The power comes on with a fuller feel and seems to rev through to power band quicker. Maybe it's me but the mid range hit is there but not as hard. It really does feel fuller and smoother from bottom to top. I haven't had much time to test the bike but I don't think I'll be putting the stock intake back in. It's like drinking coffee the power is more robust and smoother in taste. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.