Dual Sport light bulbs keep blowing out

10 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:09 AM

I can't keep any bulbs working on my WR w' Baja Designs kit working for more than 30min. I suspect the regulator in not regulating. I run the BD battery eliminator capacitor. Any other Ideas before I buy anoth $50 regulator from BD?

Thanks

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:14 AM

Well known fact that Baha designs dual sport kits have electrical design issues. Search all forums and you will find plenty of frustrated Baha Designs customers. Good news is you can fix the issues with some more money. :thumbsup:

• 5spoke

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:26 AM

Measure the voltage at the light bulb. You'll probably find it's a lot higher than it should be when the rpm's are up. This will eat light bulbs that are designed for +-13V. The cap. is supposed to smooth out voltage spikes. Are you sure you are running the bulb off the regulated side and not the stator side of the regulator?

• gomopar440

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Which bulbs? If it's just the tail/turn lights you might be getting vibration induced failures. I had a problem like yours on a 93 DR350S I used to have. I switched to LED bulbs and fixed most of that. It stil blew headlights more that I thought was normal (probably because I ran Hare Scrambles on it :thumbsup:).

BTW: I'm glad I got the Trick Dual Sport kit after hearing about all of the BD problems.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:17 AM

http://www.trickdualsport.com/
I am real happy with the trick dual sport kit as well!
Best dual sport kit on the market. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted June 14, 2004 - 09:30 AM

It blows every bulb on the bike.

I'm running the wiring BD shows in the wiring diagram.
Ir worked fine for 2 years, now all of a sudden, this is happening. Can I pick up a standard reg/rec from a jap street bike on ebay, or must I use the BD reg/rec?

• BadlandZ

Posted June 14, 2004 - 10:39 AM

You should call them. They had problems, and apparently worked them out now. They made more than a couple changes in the last couple years.

Do you know if your headlight is on the AC or DC side of the harness? Was your stator rewound? Are you using the original rectifier, or a BD one?

• R_Little

Posted June 14, 2004 - 11:48 AM

My headlight in DC because it would lite up off the battery before I started the bike. I run the BD rectifier/regulator. The stock regulator was removed.

• 5spoke

Posted June 14, 2004 - 05:15 PM

My headlight in DC because it would lite up off the battery before I started the bike. I run the BD rectifier/regulator. The stock regulator was removed.

I thought you used a bat. eliminator???

I still don't understand why people use an expensive kit, when the bike is almost ready for DS as is. It's about the same amount of work to install a kit as it is to do it youself. You will have a better system that matches the bike and will cost well under $100 to do it.

• R_Little

Posted June 15, 2004 - 05:21 AM

I stand corrected.

I recently replaced the battery with the Cap. It used to light off the battery.

• SWD6

Posted June 15, 2004 - 04:11 PM

The regulator-rectifier that Baja designs uses looks the same as a universal snowmobile one. I done my own bike using a universal Ski-doo regulator that was listed for a 1988 Safari 377E. Used an old battery pac from a cordless drill :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.