xr650r needs a 6th gear

15 replies to this topic
  • Docmarkw

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:56 PM

I took by bike for a ride today (haven't been out for quite awhile) and absolutly love my bike, but I always find myself trying to shift into the next gear when im already in 5th. Wouldn't it be nice if Honda added a 6th gear along with a electric start. I bet if Honda upgraded this bike with these items they would see a huge increase in sales. :thumbsup:

• smashinz2002

Posted June 13, 2004 - 06:11 PM

Oh yeah I hear ya dude, I do the same thing all the time, trying to hit the next gear and it's not there. haha. If your bike is uncorked/jetted, it'll take you to 100mph in 5th with no prob, very quickly, but a 6th would be really cool. I have the same problem with my KX500, it's geared even lower than the XR650R.
'04KX500 Posted Image Posted Image

• JetPilot

Posted June 13, 2004 - 07:23 PM

15 Tooth front sprocket, that put my XR's gearing right where it needed to be :thumbsup:

• xrbrp

Posted June 13, 2004 - 09:59 PM

why would anybody want to travel that fast?

• MotoChris521

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:28 AM

Why do people buy 1300cc sport bikes ?

• needsprayer

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:32 AM

If it had 6 gears I would still be looking for a 7th. :thumbsup:

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 14, 2004 - 02:50 PM

There have been lots of times I wish the bike had a sixth gear. I am by no means a speed freak. I would love to have the acceleration of the 13 tooth front sprocket however for the dual sport rides crusing gets kinda buzzy. A 15 tooth fixes that but it makes first to tall for the tight stuff. A sixth gear would be the perfect compromise so I wouldn't have to change out the front sprocket depending on how I plan on riding the bike.

• Docmarkw

Posted June 14, 2004 - 03:45 PM

My riding buddies and I do these long rides that average around 1000 miles (4-5 days)and quite often stretch our gas stops out to around 175 to 200 miles (I usually need to carry extra gas in my backpack). I have a IMS 4.6 tank, but would think with a 6th gear I could run the bike at lower rpm and increase my mpg. I haven't decided if I want to run a taller countershaft gear since we do get ourselves into some tight technical stuff. I don't know what Honda would do with future productions of this bike, but a 6th gear would be nice for cruising speeds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:39 AM

I agree. I am in the same dilemma. I would like to go to a 13 tooth front sprocket for off road, but it is already buzzy on the road with a 14. 6 speed would be perfect!!

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 15, 2004 - 07:55 AM

I too agree... sixth gear would be heaven.

I run a 15/48 for most rides, and when I'm on the 'single track' stuff second is waaay to fast and first almost too slow.

However... my bike ran 102mph (on the GPS) this last Sunday, and on flat pavement with me at 200lbs plus gear (another 30lbs at least). I'm happy with it. Just add a sixth and I'd be exstatic.

Once they add 8th gear, I know I'll be in trouble. :thumbsup:

• heliosstudios

Posted June 16, 2004 - 05:52 AM

I've kinda got the opposite problem. I don't plan on doing much 75+ driving, and with stock 15/45 and my new Kenda rear tire which is 2" taller, I might have to keep it in 4th at 55MPH! This is a 650L. What's the max rear pitch that can be used with the 15T and stock chain? 50? 51? T.I.A.

• Husky_Forever

Posted June 16, 2004 - 06:28 AM

Coming off huskies for better than 20 years, I was always trying to shift into 6th. Then, I would roll on the throttle and the bushes would blur by. 6th would be nice for Baja and the desert. 15 tooth is good. Husky used to go to a 17 tooth. Ruins 1st gear for anything but wide open though. :thumbsup:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 16, 2004 - 09:20 AM

Husky used to go to a 17 tooth. Ruins 1st gear for anything but wide open though. :thumbsup:

Holy Bageeezus... That's like a Extra Large Meat Lovers from Pizza Hut. Damn... 17 toother! Huge!

• Husky_Forever

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:50 PM

17/44 to be exact. Needed that to get 110+ out of the 400s. Back then we had long dry lakebeds and dirt roads to traverse. I still have a new 17 that is on my current 1974 Husky 400WR. Fun to wind it out in 6th speed. Of course, my old XR 650 goes that fast with a 15/48 in 5th, but whose counting. :thumbsup:

• xrbrp

Posted June 24, 2004 - 03:20 PM

I took my bike out on the highway yesterday, and kept wanting to shift to a higher gear, I had 5th maxed and could have used another. I stand corrected, and I too feel the need for speed.

• MotoChris521

Posted June 25, 2004 - 03:33 AM

On your rear sprocket question.I still have the original chain on my XRL and a 48 tooth rear is the largest that will fit with a 15 front.The adjuster is on the first notch.Now asssuming your chain is the stock lenght(being a '94)is another matter. :thumbsup:

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.