Tapping the rev limiter

7 replies to this topic
  • FTD

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:41 AM

I stay in a lower gear and rev it as opposed to shifting into the higher gear and loaf it. I do this for the increased compression braking and I love the feeling of "grabbing a handful."
I tap the limiter occasionally... but get close to it often.
Is this going to pose a future problem for my engine?
I am "wearing" the engine out faster... right?
Hoss

• sabin

Posted June 13, 2004 - 10:16 AM

I think the best rpms for an engine it where the vibrations are least. Sertanly hitting rev limiter often is not good for the engine...

• Hamish

Posted June 13, 2004 - 12:45 PM

you are definately wearing the engine faster. Piston ring/barrel life is proportional to the number of times the piston goes up and down. Say on a 2 hour ride you averaged 6000 RPM. the piston would travel the length of the barrel 1.4 million times. Say the next day you did the same ride averaging 9000RPM, the piston would do that same trip 2.16 million times. The same applies to the crank bearings. The higher MPS (mean piston speed) will also stress the rod more. Having said all that, you bought it to ride it hard! Anyway, I believe the ultimate shift point on my YZ timed WR is well before the limiter.

• r1superstar

Posted June 13, 2004 - 01:10 PM

you are definately wearing the engine faster. Piston ring/barrel life is proportional to the number of times the piston goes up and down. Say on a 2 hour ride you averaged 6000 RPM. the piston would travel the length of the barrel 1.4 million times. Say the next day you did the same ride averaging 9000RPM, the piston would do that same trip 2.16 million times. The same applies to the crank bearings. The higher MPS (mean piston speed) will also stress the rod more. Having said all that, you bought it to ride it hard! Anyway, I believe the ultimate shift point on my YZ timed WR is well before the limiter.

Good point, but the only way to really know where that point exists is on a Dynometer...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FTD

Posted June 13, 2004 - 01:39 PM

My deal is this.
On the trails, instead of shifting into 3rd, I hold it out for a few more seconds in 2nd before I have to slow down before the next turn. If I shift into 3rd for a few seconds, then I have to shift down to 2nd to get out of the corner to my liking. I hate a bogging and clutching out of a turn due to a higher gear, I'd rather wick out of a turn. And as I stated above, I like the compression braking.
Is it worth the engine wear to get what I want out of the bike?
Hoss

• r1superstar

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:51 PM

My deal is this.
On the trails, instead of shifting into 3rd, I hold it out for a few more seconds in 2nd before I have to slow down before the next turn. If I shift into 3rd for a few seconds, then I have to shift down to 2nd to get out of the corner to my liking. I hate a bogging and clutching out of a turn due to a higher gear, I'd rather wick out of a turn. And as I stated above, I like the compression braking.
Hoss

:thumbsup: My post was not in response to yours...

• Hamish

Posted June 13, 2004 - 08:27 PM

what gearing you running?
I had a similar 'problem' before I changed to 14/50.
with this gearing, the bike will drive hard from low rpm's in 3rd.

• FTD

Posted June 14, 2004 - 05:11 AM

My deal is this.
Hoss

:thumbsup: My post was not in response to yours...

A given... I was adding MY thoughts to the topic.
hoss

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.