WR vs YZ gear ratios

9 replies to this topic
  • Snipper

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:33 AM

Can anyone point me to where I can see the gear ratios for both the WR426/450 and YZ426/450? I've just sold my XR600 that I've had for ten years...(sniff), and I want to replace it with a WR but they are tough to find. The YZ, on the other hand is much more available but I need to know how different the gear ratios are before considering one. Yamaha's online catalog doesn't list gear teeth numbers or ratios so I'm looking for somewhere else that does. I'm looking specifically at 2001 through 2003 models.

Thanks

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:51 AM

03 WR450
--------
Gear ratio: 1st 29/12 (2.416)
2nd 26/15 (1.733)
3rd 21/16 (1.312)
4th 21/20 (1.050)
5th 21/25 (0.840)
Primary reduction ratio 62/22 (2.818)
Secondary reduction ratio 50/14 (3.571)

03 YZ450
--------
Gear ratio:
1st 27/14 (1.929)
2nd 25/16 (1.563)
3rd 23/18 (1.278)
4th 21/20 (1.050)
Primary reduction ratio 62/22 (2.818)
Secondary reduction ratio 48/14 (3.429)

• Snipper

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the help, that's awesome! Where do you find spec's like this? I noticed in Yamaha's online parts catalog that the drive axle is the same for both the '01 WR and YZ 426 so gear swaps shouldn't be difficult if I decide to go with a YZ.

• KentuckyWR

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:19 AM

Hey!
Don't get the YZ if you are going to do serious woods riding. It might be awesome for the Desert or MX though!

I have a WR and my friend has the YZ . . . needless to say, the ratios on his 1st and 2nd gears are such that he has a hard time in the woods (tight stuff) and tends to stall the engine much more frequently than I do. We are both running the same gearing, but overall, he feels his is geared too low when he's in 3rd or 4th.

Get a WR!!!

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the help, that's awesome! Where do you find spec's like this? I noticed in Yamaha's online parts catalog that the drive axle is the same for both the '01 WR and YZ 426 so gear swaps shouldn't be difficult if I decide to go with a YZ.

All the WR's and YZ's can mix transmission parts up through the '02 models. '03 and after the YZ will not accept the WR parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tool

Posted June 15, 2004 - 02:24 PM

"All the WR's and YZ's can mix transmission parts up through the '02 models."

thats interesting... are you saying that i can choose which WR gears i want in my YZ? ive asked around before and was told i would need to swap the whole tranny. :thumbsup:
so your saying i could have WR 1st and 5th, with YZ 2nd 3rd and 4th? cuz that would be perfect

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 15, 2004 - 03:26 PM

[All the WR's and YZ's can mix transmission parts up through the '02 models. '03 and after the YZ will not accept the WR parts.

Well perhaps I should have worded that differently. The whole WR gearset will definitely fit in the YZ cases. I think some of the gears can mix but not sure which ones.

• Snipper

Posted June 15, 2004 - 06:40 PM

I bought an '02 WR426 tonight that is in mint shape. It is stone stock with the original tires, grips, muffler and throttle stop! Unbelievable luck. She purrs like a kitten but give me a few hours and I'll let the lion out. Hmmmm, I feel a cold coming on tomorrow.

Thanks for the input everyone. By the way, if you look on Yamaha USA's website (http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/) and look under "Parts & Service" for the parts catalog you can pull up the transmission parts list for most newer bikes. The part numbers for both the YZ and WR drive axles are the same but the main axles are different. It would be interesting to see what parts are interchangeable. Anyone work in a Yamaha parts department?

• tool

Posted June 16, 2004 - 11:48 AM

"The part numbers for both the YZ and WR drive axles are the same but the main axles are different."

drive axle = countershaft?
does that main axle have the first gear attached to it? would that be why the mainshafts are different?
the whole WR gear set would likely fit, but would the tranny have to be shimmed? or is it a drop-in sort of a deal? i really would like to do this eventually, but not if its a very complicated job. the YZ ratios are OK, but i want the wide ratio. :thumbsup:

• Snipper

Posted June 18, 2004 - 05:40 PM

Yamaha's terminology: main axle = main shaft, drive axle = countershaft as the sprocket is on the end. Not sure about the complexity of changing out the gear set. Haven't had mine apart yet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.