jetting

8 replies to this topic
  • squad56

Posted June 12, 2004 - 09:33 PM

when i bought my 450, it was too lean so i changed the pilot and went to a 45 from a 42. it still pops so this is indicating that it is too lean. i have played with the air/fuel screw and it seems like i have it right on now but i dont know too much about jetting and i am curious to find out if my bike is running as well as it possibly could. put it in mind that i ride in the desert of socal.

• squad56

Posted June 13, 2004 - 01:06 PM

i just rode my bike...when i opened it up above half throttle, and rode it hard certain times it would pop in high rpms. anyone experience this? i was thinking i was going to up to the next size main jet. any help is appreciated

• Derekj426

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Have you checked for leaks,, you will never get the jetting right if there is a air leak somewhere

• squad56

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:35 PM

leaks in the carb? i checked all the bolts and they are as tight as i could get them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Derekj426

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:20 PM

My 426 would have popping just like how your explaining. I didn't think much of it, considering it was only in the upper rpms but in time it got worse.. Come to find out. A piece on the headpipe was broke and loose and it was leaking around there. If there is a leak on your exhaust anywhere, it could be sucking in cold air which is making your bike pop in the upper rpm's.. Just a thought. Might not be it tho..

• squad56

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:28 PM

thanks ill check that. i would be pissed if that was the case seein on how i bought the bike 2 weeks ago

• Radbuster

Posted June 14, 2004 - 01:56 AM

Same-o on checking all connections. Even a small leak will lean the mixture a whole lot. Also, it also takes a pretty long time to warm up the engine, since the oil is carried and cooled in the frame downtube. Mine takes about 2-3 minutes of slow riding before fully warm and then runs clean. Good luck.

• Vet28

Posted June 14, 2004 - 02:43 AM

I run my bike at 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 for long periods at those steady speeds (like dirt road). It was running rough at 1/3, I went from a 45 pilot to 48 (Cdn bike has 45 stock)...problem solved. It ran a little rough at 2/3, so I went to a 172 main, problem solved.

Obviously, different conditions I am riding 900 feet above sea level and in 70-85 degrees. Considering how quick it is to change jets do it until you get it right. I have found the 450 to run a little lean on the pilot circuit.

Good luck,
Vet28 :thumbsup:

• squad56

Posted June 14, 2004 - 08:35 AM

i changed my pilot from 42 to 45. that helped alot. now i think im gonna go up to a 168 or 170 main. hopefully that should make it run well.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.