Clutch Removal?

4 replies to this topic
  • ThumperFan

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:32 PM

I just got a barely used 2003 WR450. My engine is quite noisy compared to a buddy's identical bike. After investigating at TT, I have decided I should remove the clutch cover, clutch, water pump and clutch housing so I can check the primary nut gear torque. The manual designates using a clutch removal tool when removing the clutch boss. It appears that after removing the pressure plate and springs, the boss and plates can be removed as an assembly. Is is necessary to have the removal tool for this particular job? If so, can a tool that will work be made or is a significant amount of clamping force required to hold the plates inside the boss?

• sabin

Posted June 12, 2004 - 08:54 PM

I use old cam belt from my car. I cun some of the grooves so that they enter in the grooves in the inner hub. Then I fix the other end of the belt on the footpeg and that's it! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowedog

Posted June 12, 2004 - 08:58 PM

If you have an air impact wrench you can put the plates in the basket and apply force with your hand and spin the nut off with the wrench. You can put it back on this way also but you wont be getting the correct torque. I used a c-clamp to hold the clutch plates with enough pressure and put a piece of aluminum in between the balancer gears to keep the engine from turning over. I will make a tool to hold the clutch for the next time though.

Lowedog

• Lowedog

Posted June 12, 2004 - 09:11 PM

Great idea Sabin! I'll give that a try next time.

Also, if your are removing the entire right side cover you don't have to remove the clutch to access the primary gear nut. :thumbsup:

Lowedog

• ThumperFan

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Great idea Sabin! I'll give that a try next time.

Also, if your are removing the entire right side cover you don't have to remove the clutch to access the primary gear nut. :thumbsup:

Lowedog

This sounds great...I couldn't quite see this just by looking at the technical drawings...thanks a lot! :awww:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.