wr450 exhaust dilema

10 replies to this topic
  • J.T.

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:24 PM

What is the prefered choice of these two options??
PRO MOTO BILLET STOCK MUFFLER CAP
FMF POWER CORE IV Q SILENCER
I know the cap would save me about $250 . Is it worth the savings or should a guy just go for it and get the "Q". :awww: Or is the "Q" really not worth the extra $$ :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:32 PM

I think the PMB works good. The stock muffler on the 04 is pretty good piece of engineering and it relatively light. I have been thinking of drilling out some of the holes in it to get more flow, but I am worried about the noise issue. :thumbsup:

• J.T.

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:00 AM

JVP, are you satisfied enough with the PMB the you will keep it or are you searching for better flow ? More power ?

• WR450F_RDR

Posted June 13, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Big differnce between the two options you suggest, I started with the Pro-moto billet and went to the FMF Powercore IV, I also bought the Quiet core insert for it. In places where you can run the Powercore without the insert you will notice a big differnce but with it, it is about the same, believe me I run without it wherever possible, you cant beat the extra power of the new Powercore IV muffler.

• mtrablue

Posted June 13, 2004 - 01:24 PM

were you asking about the Q series muffler or powercoreIV with quiet insert? of the 96db mufflers, the Q is one of the better ones. if i had the money to spend, it would be on the Q.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J.T.

Posted June 13, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I was actually refering to the POWERCORE IV Q S/A SILENCER. Not the actual "Q" exhaust. I just noticed that FMF even made a POWERCORE IV2 Q exhaust. I cant find anyone that sells it though.

• NOMADAK

Posted June 13, 2004 - 08:10 PM

Try www.mxsouth.com , if it isn't listed in the site, call them, they will get it in for you. Good folks.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted June 14, 2004 - 04:04 AM

you can also try here:
http://www.motosport.com/
They are out of Eugene,Or

• ncmountainman

Posted June 14, 2004 - 05:50 AM

i also had the stocker w/pmb insert and the stock jetting was too rich so i drilled through all of those little half holes w/a 1/4" bit helped a bit but more on the top end which is not where i wanted help.so after some research i bought the pwercore 4 w/silent insert and that was much better power delivery,now without the insert the p-core 4 is quite loud(over 100) with it probably right at limit,now they say that w/the pwerbomb header not only is flow increased but it is quieter also! i'm gonna order the header soon. the weight difference is; stock muffler about 9lbs powercore 4 was at aroun 4 !

• JVP

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:47 AM

J.T. I like to mess with stuff, so that's why I going to drill out the PMB. :thumbsup: My only concern is noise. I sometimes ride at Hungry Valley and they are strict with the meters. I also have a modified insert from a Raptor that fits in the muffler. I use it for sea level riding in the desert.

• J.T.

Posted June 15, 2004 - 05:13 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks Guys, I just ordered An FMF powercore IV. I'm going for loud power!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.