bike wont run unless choked

11 replies to this topic
  • sledneck

Posted June 27, 2002 - 06:36 PM

well we figured out my prob it wasnt a stator we found a bunch of water in the gas and changed my plug , so now it runs great only on choke though it acccepts throttle and everything and will idle, but if we turn off choke it wants to die we have been through the carb top to bottom many times it is spotless , but still it doesnt wanna run with out choke, we r maybe thinking we arent getting enough fuel now since its like 90 degrees up in minnesota lately compared to 70 like 4 weeks ago, would the temp make that big a difference that it wont run unless choked we r thinking if we increase the pilot jet to 45 to get more fuel hopefully it will run off choke, what do ya all think ,

• thumper4life

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:04 PM

what kind of mods have you done to your bike???? we will start there

• YZ400Court

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:17 PM

What have you checked and done up to now? Please list everything. I assume it ran fine before the air filter oil mess. Is that correct? The outside temp should not matter to you. It is 75 degrees here in the morning, and 115 in the afternoon. We sure don't re-jet mid day.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 27, 2002 - 08:08 PM

Is the fuel screw still in? I probably asked you before but since you didn't say anything, I just wanted to make shure you checked.

• Boit

Posted June 27, 2002 - 09:45 PM

That symptom is one of a clogged, or partially clogged, pilot jet/circuit.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted June 28, 2002 - 05:10 AM

Yep, clogged jet.

This site is pretty cool huh.

Mr Toyz

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledneck

Posted June 28, 2002 - 01:07 PM

no man we have been through the carb like 3 times all the jets r spotless tonight i bought a 45 and 35 pilot jet we r going to play with it a little and see what it does

• yznvegas

Posted June 28, 2002 - 01:17 PM

Did you try turning your fuel screw out? You can safely adjust it out to about 2.5 turns out. Out increases fuel flow, that could help.

YZ400Court wrote: What have you checked and done up to now? Please list everything. I assume it ran fine before the air filter oil mess. Is that correct? The outside temp should not matter to you. It is 75 degrees here in the morning, and 115 in the afternoon. We sure don't re-jet mid day.

yznvegas: This statement is completely incorrect. Just because you don't re-jet doesn't mean it is right. A difference of 35 degrees will make a big difference in the way your bike runs. All top racer's rejet between the morning and afternoon.

Going smaller on the pilot jet will be a waste of time, I would start with the fuel screw and if that doesn't help than try the bigger pilot jet.

Good luck

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 28, 2002 - 06:10 PM

A guy named artie back in high scrool choked 3 dogs for a buck

the headlines read artie chokes 3 for a dollor

BattaBoom

Had to throw that one in :)

I disagree with Vegas some what, Temp has an effect but its not as drastic as one may think. In a combination of Altitude, Air Pressure heat and other factors has dramatic effects.

Yes Hot air is a problem, but in the case of the choking bike I would not think so. I assume that that something is defenetly being missed in the pilot sub system.

Question 1: with the choke on does the bike rev through ?

Question 2: Will the bike stay running if the RPMs are higher then idle with the choke off?

IN question 2, can you keep the bike running at high RPM with the choke off????

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• sledneck

Posted June 28, 2002 - 07:09 PM

i am so happy my bike snap crackled and popped all night it ran so crappy, but then i got to thinking about the carb, i put the slide in up side down so thats why the choke circuit wouldnt work i replaced it all fresh gas, new plug and slide up side right, and it runs perfect, im so glad its over i was about to sell this. thanks alot every 1 for your help

• John_H

Posted June 29, 2002 - 06:34 AM

That's funny. Kinda like the time I stuck a papertowel in my air boot to blow the sand out, forgot to take it out, and sucked it up into the head. doh!

• yznvegas

Posted June 29, 2002 - 06:22 PM

Ego, how can you disagree with me that 40 degrees won't affect jetting????

Glad you got your bike working right!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.