black sooty plug

5 replies to this topic
  • stroker101

Posted June 12, 2004 - 08:40 AM

hey guy's, hate to trouble y'all w/this small problem. i did a search but did not find my answer. the spark plug in my 03 YZ450F is black and sooty, what do i need to adjust for this condition? it seems the problem just started.
thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 12, 2004 - 09:30 AM

But the question would be where is it rich, Bottom, Mid or top

Best way to to tell is with different reads, an expert would be able to look and see just where it is rich.

What is th bike acting like. is it blubbering in any aspect of the RPM range?
Do you see any black smoke when revving?

What is your current Jetting setup

But black and sooty can be your flavor of gas as well. Low lead cheep gas as opposed to High tech Mobile or 100 octane 76.

Try a different gas brand Highest Octane :thumbsup:

• OC768

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:17 PM

could just be that you do alot of low rpm riding and aren't burning it off? is it sort of greasy looking black soot or dry powder? is the very end of the electrode tan only?

...or it could be running very rich :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:57 AM

i'm pretty sure that the problem is on the low end, just off idle and a little past 1/4 throttle. it devoloped a sputter in that range but would clear up on wider throttle openings.
will turning the airscrew "in" correct this problem?
thanks fella's for your help.
oh yeah...i'm a senior +40 rider and i do ride pretty fast :awww:. thanks again :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:17 AM

You say just recently started to sputter

Would you say this is frm Temp / Weather change time frame?

When was the last time you cleaned the Carb?

I would say that maybe adjusting the air screw may see some changes as well as dropping the needle down one.

But it may be a dirty air jet as well.

If the carb has not been cleaned I would say its ready to be :thumbsup:

• stroker101

Posted June 13, 2004 - 05:49 AM

i have never cleaned the carb or inspected the jets for foreign materials. :thumbsup:, good idea! i'll tear into the carb on my next day off from work. thanks.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.