Front Wheel Bearings

8 replies to this topic
  • MXof21

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Does anyone know why Yamaha uses sealed wheel bearing for the rear wheel and open ball bearings on the front?

• Fryboy

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:29 AM

Does anyone know why Yamaha uses sealed wheel bearing for the rear wheel and open ball bearings on the front?

It makes no freakin sense. My front bearings went out a while back too. Those suckers were bad !!!! I lubed them up really well and within 6 months toast.

Fryboy

• stroker101

Posted June 12, 2004 - 05:51 AM

don't know why...however Pivot-Works has the solution! :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 12, 2004 - 06:58 AM

It makes no freakin sense. My front bearings went out a while back too. Those suckers were bad !!!! I lubed them up really well and within 6 months toast.

Fryboy

Do you guys ride in the water a lot? I'm on the stock front bearings on my 01', and almost zero riding in water for me. Regreased the front once, replaced the rear once. When I replaced the rear they were getting loose, I pulled the dust covers and they were still full of grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:57 AM

Fryboy

Do you guys ride in the water a lot? I'm on the stock front bearings on my 01', and almost zero riding in water for me. Regreased the front once, replaced the rear once. When I replaced the rear they were getting loose, I pulled the dust covers and they were still full of grease.

Yes I ride through creek crossings regularly. I had to drive my bike through rivers at an enduro last year. I think that is what did them in.

Fryboy

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 12, 2004 - 08:39 AM

Pivot works are all sealed I just put them in a few months back

• wrooster

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:44 AM

wheel bearing replacement info:
http://www.thumperfa...el_bearings.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 14, 2004 - 08:18 AM

I have the SAME factory bearings in my 99 YZ400F it came with. I service the wheel bearings everytime I pull the wheel off the bike for any reason. They are still as smooth as they were on day one.

Same thing for my 02 YZ426F.

Regular and routine maintenance makes a big difference.

Bonzai :thumbsup:

• MXof21

Posted June 14, 2004 - 11:23 AM

I agree, the bearings can be cleaned an regreased and they last a long time. I was servicing mine and wondered why the bearings were open on the front and sealed on the back.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.