Least Favorite Maintenance--Spokes

4 replies to this topic
  • guidster

Posted June 27, 2002 - 06:58 AM

Are there any tips or tricks to tightening spokes. Try as I might, I almost always wind up with a tight, but wobbly wheel!

• tony_t.

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:53 AM

You could try Fasst Co. spoke wrench they are pretty expensive but they come preset to torque the spokes so you won't over tighten them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted June 27, 2002 - 08:48 AM

I hate spoke tightening too! I wish I could afford a Fasst Co. spoke wrench. There like $130.

• bassr_#186

Posted June 27, 2002 - 09:02 PM

Go slowly and never tighten a spoke more than a quarter turn at a time as you go around the wheel. Overtightening is the biggest problem. I have been able to true wheels without a dial-indicators or spoke torque wrenches by just taking my time. I mount the wheel on the bike without a tire to do the job.

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 27, 2002 - 10:42 AM

I just tighten the loose ones, and I have no problem. Takes 5 min.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.