polishing rims

7 replies to this topic

Posted June 27, 2002 - 06:46 AM

The rear excel rim to my '99 yz400 is tarnished and dull. I'm assuming this is caused by the sand that i generally ride on here is New Jersey. When the rims are new they appear to have a clear coat finish on them. After the sand is done destroying the finish they no longer shine. My question is, does anybody know of a procedure or chemical that would put a little shine on my rim again?

• clarkster

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:30 AM

brasso

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:51 AM

My Brother in law spent an after noon shine'n up his rims with green scotch brite and mag wheel polish. His were shiny shiny. I think it took him a good 6 beers though.

• Mike_Nyquist

Posted June 27, 2002 - 08:27 AM

go to the bike shop and ask a honda guy what he uses to shine his alumimium frame, uisally that same stuff can shine many kinds of metals like no other. You will probably lose the shine after a fiew rides though and be in the same predicament.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted June 27, 2002 - 11:15 PM

No matter what you end up doing, if you are going to do it right, and not everyweekend, then you will probably want to have them clear-coated again.

Try the phone book for alloy wheel repairers (car or bike) or metal polishing company and ask them for some advice.

You may be able to get it done with a calico pad on an angle grinder using the right compound, without disassembling the wheel.

I polished my stock bottom triple clamp to better match the Scotts one up top - it came out rather nice considering...

Good luck,

David

• edareus

Posted June 28, 2002 - 02:47 AM

My buddy has a 97 cr250 and he uses Mcguire's mag wheel polish on his frame. His frame looks like chrome. Lots of elbow grease. When I first met him I asked him how long it took to get it to look that way and he just said he did it over time. Have fun, have plenty of beer there! :)

• Forrest_Thump

Posted June 28, 2002 - 02:51 AM

Toothpaste will work, it is basicly a rubbing compound, and it will smell purty too!

Posted June 29, 2002 - 08:25 AM

thanks for your replys i'll give it a try.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.