Spark Plug Tool

5 replies to this topic
  • Deputydog

Posted June 27, 2002 - 05:03 AM

I just bought a 2001 YZ426. The guy I bought it from didn't have the spark plug tool, spoke tool, or the owner's manual. I tracked down an owner's manual but need the spark plug tool and the spoke tool. Other than the dealer, is there any place I can find those tools?

• skthom2320

Posted June 27, 2002 - 05:15 AM

A wobbler and 6" extension work just fine for accessing the spark plug. Use a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to "grab" the spark plug. Otherwise you might need some fuel line or something else to get the thing out.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:14 AM

I do the same thing. Visit Sears and get a socket with the rubber insert (I had to add some tape to mine to make it tight enough to hold this tiny plug) and get one of those wobbler extensions. Works like a dream. I got a spoke wrench at the local bike shop for I think about $5.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FASTFRANK

Posted June 27, 2002 - 09:13 PM

I agree with the wobbly and spark plug socket but once loose if the socket won't grab it all you got to do is stick the spark plug wire back in there just enough to fit over the head of the plug and you can pull it right out. I can't think of how many times I tried to pull it out with my one finger and fingernail till I thought about the spark plug wire!! LOL Frank :)

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 27, 2002 - 10:41 AM

Man, I didn't get the tools either. I had a spoke wrench, but trying to get the plug in with a sparkplug socket and an extention is a pain. I actually messed up the gap in a plug trying to get it in. I had to stick the plug in, put the socket in, put the extention on then put a wrench on it just enough to turn it(frame in the way). I bent the plug gap pushing the extention onto the socket.

• skthom2320

Posted June 27, 2002 - 12:15 PM

Originally posted by FASTFRANK:
all you got to do is stick the spark plug wire back in there just enough to fit over the head of the plug and you can pull it right out.

Why didn't I think of that? Great idea!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.