how long for a synthetic Oil change?

11 replies to this topic
  • trunkmonkey55

Posted June 11, 2004 - 12:21 PM

when I was using dino oil I did my changes at 150 to 200 miles can I now go longer without a change with synthetic oils and what is the best oil to use. I use 10w -30 and live in Portland Or. weather is 50 - 100 deg. and rains alot. :thumbsup:

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2004 - 01:53 PM

I go 800-1000 miles or more on synth.... :thumbsup:

• Burnrider

Posted June 11, 2004 - 02:22 PM

I used dino oil for 250-300 miles or 5 rides max. It's mostly trail riding, I would probably change my oil/ filter at the same interval for the semi-synthetic blend I'm going to run.

• Hamish

Posted June 11, 2004 - 04:19 PM

it's mainly clutch contamination that kills the oil, so be it mineral or synth, change at the same time. I change at 400Km max

• sabin

Posted June 11, 2004 - 07:26 PM

I change at about 650km. I can feel my trannny is getting different and this means the oil is for change

• YamahaSteve

Posted June 12, 2004 - 03:40 PM

What these guys said. I run synth and I don't care if it is synth or not... about 200 miles or so and I dump it. I guess that is becasue I do not run the synth oil to make the change interval longer but to provide superior lube for the engine and better thermal characteristics. You only need a quart plus a little so the price is not an issue either... just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • luke_n

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:03 PM

How often are you guys doing the screens in the frame?
Do you find much gunk. I havent got there yet.

Luke

• YamahaSteve

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:53 PM

I check mine every few changes. I have not found anything it it yet. But I know if I quit looking it will clog... :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted June 12, 2004 - 06:48 PM

I change mine every 200 miles. It is only 1100cc and with the Scotts filter, oil is a low cost item. I stopped checking the screen on the frame. I have not found a single particle in it after about six oil changes. I do use a magnetic case plug and I always get a little on that.

:thumbsup:

• trunkmonkey55

Posted June 13, 2004 - 10:49 AM

where do you get a magnetic case plug or do they come that way?

• KentuckyWR

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:14 AM

I change my oil after every race and at least every 100 miles otherwise.
Have been doing that for years on all the bikes I've ridden. In the past I did run some very expensive Synthetic oil, but I realized after a while I just throwing my money away because I changed it so often. I use the exact oil that Yamaha recommends so that if something oil related occurs to the engine, I can say "Hey, I was using Yamalube!"

I check the screen in the frame every three oil changes (have yet to find anything on it) and I change my filter every 3-4 oil changes depending on the length of races or type of riding.

I would like to get a magnetic plug. I had one on my XR600's but rarely found anything on it . . .

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 14, 2004 - 06:18 AM

http://www.ziptyracing.com/
for magnetic drain plug purchase

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.