How's the riding around Flagstaff AZ?

5 replies to this topic
  • Jeff_Bailey

Posted June 26, 2002 - 08:57 PM

I'm considering a move to the grand canyon state, and am pretty set on Flagstaff... How's the riding? Does anyone know if the San Franciscos and the white mtn's are trail meca's?

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted June 26, 2002 - 09:08 PM

I live in the Phoenix area and the riding is good here. If you like tracks, go to socal, because we have crappy tracks here. I don't think Flagstaff is burnt down yet. :)

• neWRiver

Posted June 26, 2002 - 09:36 PM

I live in a rural community north of Phoenix and am not too far from Flagstaff. The only riding area around there that is very well known is the Cinders. This is sort of an unusual area which features a very gritty terrain with steep long loose hill climbs (much like dune riding).

However, the word I have from the trailriders club to which I belong is that there is a nice trail system in the San Franciscos. But, it is kept as a heavily guarded secret by the locals up there. You may very well find a nice little mecca up there once you get on the "inside."

The White Mountains are very far away from Flag near the eastern border of Arizona. Not much trailriding there, although it is known as a very popular fishing/hunting/camping region. This is the area that is currently ablaze (almost half a million acres burned so far with no end in sight). The Snowflake offroad race is in that general vacinity a little further north (southeast of Flag) and is an extremely popular high speed desert race.

Nearby to Flagstaff is the Prescott Forest which extends from the Bradshaws north of Phoenix northward to near the San Franciscos. This is my primary riding region. In the cooler months we ride lots of trails in the Bradshaws and the desert foothills closer to Phoenix. In the warmer months we move further north into the higher elevations closer to Prescott.

There's also some very nice desert trails in the vacinity of Parker and Lake Havasu along the western border of Arizona which are nice in the cooler months. The Parker race is another very popular fast desert race.

Then of course there is the dune areas in southwest AZ and over into southern Cal. if you're into that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted June 27, 2002 - 05:28 AM

My family has a cabin 30 miles from Flagstaff. Ususally I will take my dirt bike up every weekend, and ride jeep trails. There are thousands of miles of two track trails up there. I can ride all summer and never see the same tree twice.

• neWRiver

Posted June 27, 2002 - 08:24 AM

Hey, YZ400Court, you ever see any singletrack up there at all? With all that two track access, there has got to be some good trailriding spots somewhere in there.

I know that in the areas I ride the singletrack routes can be hard to find unless they are very clearly marked or if you "know somebody". :)

• YZ400Court

Posted June 27, 2002 - 04:04 PM

Originally posted by neWRiver:
Hey, YZ400Court, you ever see any singletrack up there at all? With all that two track access, there has got to be some good trailriding spots somewhere in there.

I know that in the areas I ride the singletrack routes can be hard to find unless they are very clearly marked or if you "know somebody". :)

I think the key is knowing somebody. I ride South of Mormon lake and have not seen too much singletrack that looks like it has been ridden. Mostly cow trails and game trails, but tons of them. I used to hunt the area and have seen hundreds, maybe thousands of cow trails up there. I am always riding alone up there, and don't generally stray from the jeep trails.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.