New Helmet

22 replies to this topic
  • Victor_Delgadillo

Posted June 26, 2002 - 03:08 PM

I have to buy a new helmet cause mine is fu**ed, need an advice.

I saw a Vega and a Zeus, i like the graphics on both but what do you think bros?

Both are Dot/Snell approved....!!

• jmx631

Posted June 26, 2002 - 04:02 PM

spend a little extra money and look at the M2R. The price will not kill you and they are great helmets.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 26, 2002 - 04:38 PM

Try the KBC or HJC great for the price!
I have the KBC snell/dot approved too!
Right around 100bones or maybe up to a buck and a half.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• Fireballsocal

Posted June 26, 2002 - 04:58 PM

If it fits your head and you like everything else about it, buy it. The snell rating is good enough to protect most anybody. No need to spend xtra money unless you just have to impress everyone with the cool paintjob or carbon fiber.

(I'm not knocking any of the suggestions made in this thread. I just don't see the point in him spending more money to get a "better" helmet if he doesn't need/want one.)

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 27, 2002 - 01:20 AM

I have an MSR Superlight and I love it. Very comfortalbe (Snell M95/DOT also). I'm not sure what the different snell ratings mean, I trued it was good by the name brand. Maybe someone here can enlighten us to the differnet ratings.

• DPW

Posted June 27, 2002 - 02:13 AM

Whatever you buy try them on first. They alll fit a bit different. I have a buddy who just bought the MR2 and really likes it, good price and light weight. Here's a review of the MR2 HERE.

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted June 27, 2002 - 06:27 AM

The thing is i'm a little bit short of cash, but have to buy it cause i fall a 3 weeks a go; and also have to buy the handlebars, grips and of course the helmet. :)

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted June 27, 2002 - 06:43 AM

You might be able to find a last years model HJC for around 120 bucks. That is what I bought and I love the fit and feel. It is of course snell and DOT aproved.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 27, 2002 - 07:12 AM

The try it on tip is golden, be sure to try it before you buy it! Heads are shaped differently and different helmets can have a different fit. You'll get better protection from a helmet that fits properly.

• yzrider02

Posted June 27, 2002 - 09:48 PM

I bought last years model HJC AC-X1 for around 158 bucks from Dennis Kirk. They beat moto-mans sale price by a dollar. It is normally a 200 dollar helmet. It is an excellent light-weight helmet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoundChaser

Posted June 28, 2002 - 12:16 PM

VD-
I just got this internet special mailed to me. You may want to check it out. Buy at your own risk. I have never purchased from these folks just thought I would pass it along...

Please respond to Internet@MotoworldRacing.com
2002 HJC CLX-4 Ryzer Helmet
Our newest special this week is the 2002 HJC CLX-4 Ryzer Helmet. America's best selling off-road helmet is completely redesigned for 2001-02. Large eyeport design, wide range visor, SNELL M2000, fully removable interior, and the addition of 2 rear exhaust vents makes the CLX-4 just that much better! Click Here
Regular price $149.95, on sale for $99.95!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 28, 2002 - 02:58 PM

Originally posted by SoundChaser:
VD-
I just got this internet special mailed to me. You may want to check it out. Buy at your own risk. I have never purchased from these folks just thought I would pass it along...

Please respond to Internet@MotoworldRacing.com
2002 HJC CLX-4 Ryzer Helmet
Our newest special this week is the 2002 HJC CLX-4 Ryzer Helmet. America's best selling off-road helmet is completely redesigned for 2001-02. Large eyeport design, wide range visor, SNELL M2000, fully removable interior, and the addition of 2 rear exhaust vents makes the CLX-4 just that much better! Click Here
Regular price $149.95, on sale for $99.95!

I bought my big MAC replica M-6 from these guys.........pretty good but would not exchng cuz close out...........understandable but no refund either on c/o items......
Oh well bought for a ttl of $75 w/shipping and sold on E-bay for 145+ shipping!!!
Double your $ double your fun!!!

Over all good srvc!

• Echo1101

Posted June 28, 2002 - 06:28 PM

I don't know what kind of price range you're looking at but the best helmet I've ever had on my grape is the Fox. It's expensive because of who else wears it but it is wicked comfortable. The thing I like the most about it is the way it covers lower in the back. As stated before, any Snell helmet will do the job, but don't pinch pennies protecting your melon !!!

• Yak

Posted June 29, 2002 - 11:56 AM

Did you just watch Mr. Deeds??

Anyway, I would not go with the Fox. I had the RC replica and it busted way to easily. You may have seen the post here about it.

After trying on Shoei, Arai, HJC, AXO, Suomy, Fly. I ended up liking the THOR SVR the best. It has a fit similar to the FOX but perhaps a bit firmer. I think the comfort of these helmets lies in the deep ear holes. You can get it on-line for $187.99 and it retails for $249.99 in most shops.

Check:
http://www.motorcycleusa.com
http://www.btosports.com
http://www.bobscycle.com

• Echo1101

Posted June 29, 2002 - 07:30 PM

Yak,

I hadn't heard about any problems with the Fox helmet. Can you tell me more about it breaking apart easily? I am also looking for a new helmet and was going to buy the Fox again or a Bell. What's your thoughts?

• dezthumper

Posted June 30, 2002 - 08:58 AM

The HJC AC-X1 is a great helmet. I have my third top of the line HJC I use for practices.

However, during the summer months, we here in FREAKIN HOT AZ, need something cooler. The absolute must have, if you are in a hot area and need air flow, is the Fox RC Pilot. It has to be one of the lightest helmets made and the air flow cannot be beat. I practice and race with riders from all brand loyal camps - almost all of them will not say a bad word about their Fox RC Pilot. It is simply the best for hot weather. I hope other helmet makers are listening. The extra air ports, the pseudo-suede interior with cool max and webbing cannot be beat.

Anyway, bang for the buck - the HJC. If heat is an issue, Fox RC Pilot - NOT the Pilot, the RC Pilot.

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 30, 2002 - 09:42 PM

When it comes to the noggin, my feeling is this:
Protection is everything and your noodle is a precious commodity.

I would look only at Snell/dot approved helmets.
My O’Neal is comfortable and approved. I paid 130 for it. Paying 200 - 300 bucks is out of the question of me; Budgets constraints and well I don’t buy names and or gimmicks.

HJC, O’Neal and others have real good products at reasonable prices. It’s a matter of what you like.

I agree pretty much with all the suggestions above...

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Yak

Posted June 30, 2002 - 11:07 PM

Echo1101,

Search for a post called "Don't buy Fox". It speaks for itself. This is my personal experience with Fox.

• 98yz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:51 AM

Would go with an AGV or M2R, The snell/dot approved AVG think it is the RC5 retail is 109.00. Great helmet both fit and function. There is an M2R in the same price range and both have good looking graphics scheme's.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 01, 2002 - 07:57 AM

Rat
You nailed it, If my Son had not bought me the Oneal for Birthday, I would have got a bell. Them puppies saved my noodle a few times.

If the price was not so steep either. Like I said, Me wife has a budget constraint and does not understand the cost of proper gear. Although she spends bucks on apple peelers and crap from Martha Stuart for 30 times the amount of a normal mans pealer.

Man thers no justice

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.