(Oil vent hose in air-box) side effect.

9 replies to this topic
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted June 11, 2004 - 08:32 AM

Just wanted to point out a side-effect from the following modification: Routing your oil vent hose to your air-box.

If your WR450 is upside down for a period of time. (1-3 minutes), oil will drain out of the top of your motor into your air-box. I know this because it happened to me.

I was trail riding one day when I crashed trying to go across the side of a steep hill. I ended up rolling to the bottom of the hill while the WR stayed where I crashed, but it was upside down. I climbed back up the hill, and shut the gas off, but then I waited for a minute for my friend to show up so he could help me pick the bike up. ( I was tired, it was muddy as hell, and the hill was really steep.) Anyway, we finally get the bike on it's wheels, I turn on the gas, and the WR fires right up.

I was totally unaware of any problem.

I ride for about an hour, and right when we get back to camp, I'm idling through the campground when the WR stalls and dies. Will not restart.

Looking her over, I find that my air-box is about an 1/8 full of oil, and my air filter is SOAKED in oil. I clean her up, change the air filter, and top her off with fresh oil. (only lost about 4-5 ounces). She fires right up and ran fine.

Have put about 10 hours on her since then with no problems. She's running great. I left the mod how it was. IMO, this side effect is pretty small compared to having water sucked into your motor.

Later.

• gloft

Posted June 11, 2004 - 09:47 AM

Where did you route your hose - top of air box or bottom via cut hole? I drilled a hole in the bottom corner nearest the access panel and stuck a T into it and sealed it with silicone. The T allows oil to drip on the chain and when submerged motor will draw from the air box. Mine solution isn't perfect either since if water does enter the air box it collects in that area and can be drawn back into the crank case under extreme conditions. I know since it's happened to me twice now :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted June 12, 2004 - 03:48 AM

Why don't you guys put a "Y" shaped "T" in the original breather hose, leave the original hose running to the stock location and run the "Y-ed" hose to the air box.? This will solve both the water and oil problems. WR Dave. :thumbsup:

• DirtDobber

Posted June 12, 2004 - 08:42 AM

I'm confused. If you put a Y-conn. in the line and run the 2nd line to the air box, won't that create more vacuum? I have heard people state that when the engine is half underwater and you try to crank it, the suction or negative pressure on the breather line will draw water up into the engine. Well, if you route the other line to the airbox, won't it also add to the vacuum?
Or am I off in left field?
DD :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted June 12, 2004 - 09:37 AM

water is mu havier than air, so it will suck air from the airbox not from below

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted June 13, 2004 - 03:59 AM

Only if the rest of the airbox is sealed. You did take the lid off and throw it didn't you? WR Dave. :thumbsup:

• sabin

Posted June 13, 2004 - 09:56 AM

In fact ... no. I do not want to sacrifice reliabuility for performance as this bike has all the performance I need for weekend pleasure riding. I did so many power mods on my 426 and in the end the bike was no pleasure to ride. 450 is has much more snap originaly, I need no more :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted June 14, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Sabin, the post was for Dirtdobber, your post was absolutely correct. WR Dave :thumbsup:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted June 16, 2004 - 12:42 PM

Where did you route your hose - top of air box or bottom via cut hole? I drilled a hole in the bottom corner nearest the access panel and stuck a T into it and sealed it with silicone. The T allows oil to drip on the chain and when submerged motor will draw from the air box. Mine solution isn't perfect either since if water does enter the air box it collects in that area and can be drawn back into the crank case under extreme conditions. I know since it's happened to me twice now :thumbsup:

I put the breater hose in the bottom corner near the access panel.

I like the "T" idea.

• JVP

Posted June 16, 2004 - 08:26 PM

I think moving the breather hose to the air box is better than stock. If you dump the bike in water there is no difference. :thumbsup: You will get water in the piston. If you stall the bike in water and the breather hose is above water level, push the magic button and go! :awww:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.