XR vs. WR: Something to Think About....

9 replies to this topic
  • wr_tree

Posted June 10, 2004 - 08:40 PM

I often see people posting questions such as "Should I buy a XR400 or WR400/426/450" and thought I would throw this out: Do a search on Cycletrader.com for XR400s and then do a search for WR400s or WR426s or WR450s. There are more XR400s for sale in California then there are 426's in the entire nation! This tells me that, in general, people are keeping their WR's while trying to unload their XR's. I know, it is not scientific but it does say something about the general market for dirtbikes.

Speaking of questions: I took TT advice and bought a WR426 (over an XR400)- just picked it up from the freight company (bought it back east and had it shipped) it came in a crate so I have a litle wrenching to do. Thanks for all the advice. I will post when I have in running and let you know how it is.

• moto9

Posted June 10, 2004 - 09:37 PM

If you look at sales statistics Honda has probably sold three times as many XR's than Yamaha has sold WR's...hence across the board Honda's numbers are expected to be higher.

• wr_tree

Posted June 11, 2004 - 08:21 AM

It is not scientific calculation, but given the fact that WRs are almost impossible to find and XR400s are in abundance (especially late model years in very good/excellent condition) tells me that the newer technology 4-strokes are starting to cut into the XR market share. Again, just a qualitative observation.

• mtrablue

Posted June 11, 2004 - 02:40 PM

honda does what honda wants to do. look how long the xr250 was (is?) around before it's replacement was born. people will by hondas because they are hondas. if or when a crfX 450 comes out, they'll sell every one of them.

• bigc

Posted June 11, 2004 - 04:12 PM

My friend bought a xr because he thinks he is scott summers :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted June 11, 2004 - 04:40 PM

They almost had me convinced to buy an XR. I love the simple engine and not having to do much maintenance to keep it running. BUT...once a person rides the new generation bikes , its over.

The old suspension and chassis does not cut it. I would probably consider an XR type motor mounted in a new style chassis, but I doubt it will ever happen.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 12, 2004 - 03:19 AM

that's cause everyone is so brain washed over Honda's. Not me. I have had Honda's and hate them.

I often see people posting questions such as "Should I buy a XR400 or WR400/426/450" and thought I would throw this out: Do a search on Cycletrader.com for XR400s and then do a search for WR400s or WR426s or WR450s. There are more XR400s for sale in California then there are 426's in the entire nation! This tells me that, in general, people are keeping their WR's while trying to unload their XR's. I know, it is not scientific but it does say something about the general market for dirtbikes.

Speaking of questions: I took TT advice and bought a WR426 (over an XR400)- just picked it up from the freight company (bought it back east and had it shipped) it came in a crate so I have a litle wrenching to do. Thanks for all the advice. I will post when I have in running and let you know how it is.

• Fryboy

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:54 AM

XR= Good bike but no fun (high rev) factor
WR= Great bike with lots of fun power :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, any bike that can have the following the XR400 has for so long can't be bad. It is just the new power is addicting and I need my fix :awww:

Fryboy

• JVP

Posted June 12, 2004 - 07:06 PM

I used to be a Honda guy. I owned a CR500,CR250 and XR400. I do have a TRX250EX for the Daughter and a KX85 for the son. But I will say the bike (WR450F) I have now is the best bike I have ever owned. I would have bought a CRF450F if it had an electric start, but I am now glad it didn't and won't in the near future. :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:26 AM

Honda's quality has ALWAYS been much higher than Yamaha's until the last 4-5 years. Every Yamaha I've ever owned except this WR has given me problems. The opposite has been true of my Honda's. Super reliable and things just worked right. That's why people keep buying Hondas.

Like someone else said, my WR426 has been one of the best dirtbikes I've ever owned. It has some quirks but it's been a great bike. If Honda came out with a CRF450X that weighs the same amount as the WR450F, I wouldn't switch.

The XR400 is a super reliable bike but it's 10 year old technology. At some point, people just stop buying this stuff. Plus, I think a lot of guys who were riding XR400's are switching to CRF250X's which is why there is a large supply for sale. Same overall hp, lighter, better suspension, handling, e-start, etc.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.