What is involved in regular maintenance? 98 YZ400f

6 replies to this topic
  • yz400f

Posted June 10, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Sup guys,
I recently bought a 98 yz400f, and was wondering what all is good regular maintenance. What make/viscosity oil does everyone recommend? What else should i do to maintain the bike? thanks

• Fastest1

Posted June 10, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to TT! Congrats on the 400.
First I would say change the oil often every 5-8 hours is about what I do. Change the filter every second oil change.
Air Filter clean and reoil every ride or 2 if you are lazy or it isnt dusty.
Valves check them if the bike is doing anything irregular, like being difficult to start. I would check them soon since you just got the bike and maybe once or twice a year depending on how much and how hard you ride. Service the bearings at least once a year, steering and swingarm.
Follow the manual and stay in tune here on TT if you have any questions. Do searches here for any question or repair process. Or just post. Enjoy riding it and be safe. You will learn the maintenance rituals if you stick around. O yeah always keep the carb clean. :thumbsup:

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 10, 2004 - 07:43 PM

always keep the carb clean

the accelerator pump often seizes up w/ dirt/water on this carb.

Do the Taffy Mod to your AP, then use silicone to seal up BOTH ends of the little rubber accordian boot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted June 11, 2004 - 10:31 AM

Seeing is it is a new bike to you I would change the brake fluid and antifreeze. I wouldn't have believed how nasty brake fluid can get in a sealed enviroment. Plus it does make a diff in braking.

Also have the fork and shock oil changed. A lot of folk dont ever look at them. They should be done yearly at least. its easy to do yourself with a few basic tools.

Lube the steering, rear brake pivot, swingarm and linkage pivots, and kickstarter pivot.

Check your brake pads and rotors for wear.

See if there is any side to side movement in the wheels indicating a bad wheel bearing.

• yz400f

Posted June 12, 2004 - 04:39 AM

thanks guys,
im going to do an oil change on the bike pretty soon. ive ridden it a total of about 6 hours so far and really enjoy it. im also going to read the manual and check the valves. does anyone have a good recommendation on an oil to use?

and one more question, someone had told that there is a tool that makes changing spark plugs easier.. i was wondering if this is true.. last time i changed mine i had to remove the air scoops, gas tank, and top engine mount to change it..

• bushy

Posted June 12, 2004 - 05:38 AM

All you have to do is remove the two gas tank mounts, the screw that connects the shrouds to the radiators, and the rubber strap. You can buy an attachment for a socket that turns at a right angle for much easier removing.

• Fastest1

Posted June 13, 2004 - 02:44 AM

Yamalube 4R

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.