Threw a timing chain and bent a valve

7 replies to this topic
  • LugNut

Posted June 26, 2002 - 08:29 AM

Just got the call from my local shop where I have work done.It seems my 00 426 has threw the timing chain and bent my valve.This is all new stuff to me because I bought the bike a couple of mths ago from a guy that raced it...he was pretty slow though so i figured there was'nt much abuse the bike had to have taken.At least not until I got on it...I came off a 250 and tried to ride it like a 250 it only got me through 2 races before it blew.After telling my friend this he said to go ahead and put a new piston and rings in it as well while it was open.My question is...how much should this cost me? And is there anything else I should be looking at replacing now so it does'nt end back up in the shop sooner than later?

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 26, 2002 - 09:13 PM

I'm sure your mechanic will do this, but be sure you find out WHY your timing chain skipped a tooth or came off or whatever happened to it. That's not normal.

• LugNut

Posted June 26, 2002 - 09:30 PM

Oh boy I did'nt wanna hear that :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 26, 2002 - 11:24 AM

If your mechanic is good then he should be able to find the cause and replace all related parts and you should be as good as new. And if you can get out with only a bent valve for damage then that's not too bad. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bassr_#186

Posted June 26, 2002 - 11:35 AM

Your mechanic will probably know this, but I would have him make sure the timing chain automatic tension adjuster is working properly.

• LugNut

Posted June 26, 2002 - 02:39 PM

You guys are helpful as all hell and I mean that!All this info is greatly appreciated ,I hate to go there and expose myself for the no wrenching spode that am ,(as if it werent obvious enough) but at least I can sound somewhat educated on the matter.
Thanks again and please keep em comin!
Ray

• yamie_rider

Posted June 26, 2002 - 02:54 PM

Let us know how it goes.

• guidster

Posted June 27, 2002 - 04:10 AM

I am sure that your mechanic will do this, but he should also look into the crank and connecting rod as well. Sometimes they get messed up when the piston slaps a valve!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.